My first lager starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattyb85

Reaction score
I have a quick question about doing a starter for my first lager. I know when doing a starter for an ale you can run it at room temp (as long as within fermenting range) is this is same even for lager yeast which ferment at a much lower temp range? If it makes any difference I'm using the wyeast 2308.

Also from MA! Wakefield, should I run it inside my fermentation fridge or just in the basement? It's been cooler lately but I don't think the basement is at 52 yet which is what the fridge is at

Also from MA! Wakefield, should I run it inside my fermentation fridge or just in the basement? It's been cooler lately but I don't think the basement is at 52 yet which is what the fridge is at

You can do the lager starter at room temperature. That's fine, and when it's done, stick it in the fridge so you can decant the spent wort.

You can do the lager starter at room temperature. That's fine, and when it's done, stick it in the fridge so you can decant the spent wort.

Really?, I always thought that would shock the yeast as it would be fermented at lower temps after pitching ...learn something new everyday.

Really?, I always thought that would shock the yeast as it would be fermented at lower temps after pitching ...learn something new everyday.

Shock the yeast? I'm not sure I understand how that would happen.

When you make a starter, you're growing yeast and yeast grow/reproduce better in warmer temperatures. Cold crash the starter, decant the spent wort, and add the 40 degree yeast into 45 degree wort, and you've got a great start on a larger.

By shocking, I just meant they would be used to propogating at a higher temp. I have always done my lager starters within the recommended temp ranges, thats great if I don't, my lager starters were taking too long to make. Thanks Yoop.

Let's trade rumors a little more. (Can I participate? I moved from Billerica 15 years ago) I believe the published yeast fermentation temps are geared to produce the highest attenuation with the lowest off flavors. I also believe that higher temps and more oxygen will produce the largest volume of yeast in a starter in the smallest time. In a starter we're not making beer, we're making yeast. Since I'm not saving the starter beer, I dont worry about ferm temps or too much oxygen. Personally,I have never really monitored the temp of a starter. I just put it on my countertop and turn all the undercounter lights on. I believe its in the upper 60's.

So random question I just measured my efficiency and it came out to 107%... Is that normal/possible?

I put in all the right grain. Measured the pre boil gravity and put in the pre-boil volume correctly and adjusted the gravity for temp. I'll try redoing everything making sure I'm using the correct brands/countries or origin

Also out of question how long should it take to see active fermentation in a lager? My fridge is holding at 52 F and i put the wort in there at 70 F cuz my water couldn't cool it any further. I did a starter with approx 350b cells

It is my understanding that lagers do not ferment as fast and vigorously as ales so you might not even see any activity in the airlock. Since you put it in the fridge at 70F the yeast will have gotten a headstart before the wort chilled to 52F.

Back