my first Kvass take one

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grod1

Reaction score
I started up a Kvass yesterday. It doesn't seem like to many people are brewing them.I wasn't to excited to start, now i feel like there are so many possibilities to make decent beers with varying levels of sourness. I can see myself doing a dozen of these.
This peasant drank traditional has an abv of .5-2 but newer comercial varieties reach upwards of 5%I am going to aim for 5 because i cant help myself.
Step one i got a large bag of stale rye bread from a local baker. it was covered in caraway seeds and hard as rocks.
I tore the bread open with hammers and a screwdriver to break it into small pieces, i then toasted very lightly, just until i could smell it.
This got rehydrated in 5 gallons of 90F water & 1.5# honey.Along with about 80 billion lacto cells. (puritains pride probiotic 10)<-- this stuff works amazing. Pelicalls in less then 24 hours and super effective at dropping ph.
After about 40 hours at 90F i am going to boil/blend with a rye forward grain bill.
I have some extra dark malts because i originally had planed to burn some bread but decided against it.
So only 25% of the final kvass will have been soured.I plan on using 001 for fermentation, but im not set on that and i still might long term sour some with bugs.
i am undecided on raisons, lemon peel or additional caraways seeds in primary flame out. I plan on doing one more with dates and one with hemp seeds(5#s25$). Brewing tomorrow.

18 lb 2-Row 63%
8 lb Rye 28%
1.3lb - Crystal Rye 4.6%
1 lb Honey(not malt) 3.5%
0.25 lb Midnight Wheat Malt <1%

Hops 12.17 IBU

1 oz Summer Pellet 7.8 Boil 50 min 8.15
1 oz East Kent Goldings Pellet 5 Boil 15 min 2.73
1 oz East Kent Goldings Pellet 5 Boil 5 min 1.1
1 oz Domestic Hallertau Pellet 4 Boil 1 min 0.19

Last edited:
wasn't tart enough. i think the bread needed more than 40 hours with lacto or the ratio of sour mashed bread needs to be higher then 25%.
over all it taste pretty great. just not tart.
Its clean now, but i could give it some bugs to sour it up.

I learned to make kvass with a Finnish friend of mine in college. We use rye bread most of the time and sometimes Scottish oats or fruit. Do you let yours ferment dry? We always drank it day 2 or 3 because it would go way too sour.

Back