My First Kegerator (needs beer)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eman24dx

Reaction score
Friends,

I am a good hour of work before finishing my kegerator, and would like to put a keg in there by Friday. I have a 2 tap system on the front door of an old brown fridge. I will be putting a Bills/Sabres theme on it but that's for a rainy day and after I get cold beer flowing.

I am a little tight on budget and only want to get a 1/4 or 1/6 keg of commercial beer and wanted to know a good beer to crisen the kegerator. I was going to do Sam Adams but even 1/6 is $75. So I am thinking Yuengling, Flying Bison, or Molson Canadian? My local beer store has a full keg special for $79 on Bud/Miller/Coors but I am sure that would break a man law.

Nothing on my system is new besides the beer lines and this keg is somewhat of a test run but I am hoping and praying everything works fine. I will someday get into kegging homebrew and keeping the fridge stocked with "good beer" but for now I need a cheap good tasting option or else I'm being talked into Genny Cream.

Thanks,

Is your kegerator set up for homebrew (ball locks) or a commercial keg (Sanke)? I assume Sanke if you are looking at Sam Adams and BMC. BTW, there is no Man Law saying you cannot have a keg of Bud Lite on tap at any time, only a few people on this board are too proud to not drink free beer.

I'd say find a local Micro that has 1/4 or 1/6. Find a good Pale Ale or Wheat. If I were to run a 1/6 Sanke in my Keezer I'd run Boulevard Wheat or Pale Ale, or find a Tallgrass Buffalo Sweat Stout and push it w/ Nitro....

I was looking for a cheap but good tasty beer. Maybe Killians? If I tap the keg and something isnt working properly (Coupler, taps, CO2) will I be able to reseal the keg so it doesnt go bad while I find the parts to fix it?

I was looking for a cheap but good tasty beer. Maybe Killians?

Surely you can do better! Get something that you won't find at the 7-11!

If I tap the keg and something isnt working properly (Coupler, taps, CO2) will I be able to reseal the keg so it doesnt go bad while I find the parts to fix it?

Certainly. Just de-couple the keg and leave it chillin'. No harm, no foul...

Cheers!

I'd say go the Yuengling route, before I got into homebrew I was getting quarters at Consumers (yep, local boy) for $39 + the outragous NYS deposit (be prepared to shell out an extra $80 on top of the purchase price. $30 for the keg, and $50 to the state promising you won't give it to minors. You get it back if you tip the barrel in 90 days). I was lucky a few times and got Lord Chesterfields Ale when they had it in stock, pretty good, very much like a pale ale. From what I hear Flying Bison will fill a keg for you if you have an empty for a good price. They're located on Ontario St in the city last I knew. Good luck and Cheers! PM me if you want any more info, I can usually find a good deal on decent stuff.

Yuengling is so much better from a keg than it is from the (horrible green) bottle, I vote that. (Same for Sam though, IMHO)

Back