My first keg on Nitro questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewfarmDan

Reaction score
So this weekend I will be kegging 10 gallons of Irish Stout and for the 1st time will serve on 25% CO2/75% Nitrogen. My standard proceedure for kegging on CO2 has been to set the regulator for the correct CO2 volumes and rock the keg untill it is saturated then store on pressue a few days before serving. The attached link calls for Nitro at 30 to 35 PSI but starting at 25 and moving up till it's right. Should I try to saturate first or just store at pressure? I have the correct 2 stage stout faucet.

What pressures/techniques do you use?

Thanks I am looking forward to a taste of this.

http://beerandbrewing.com/VKQ0ECsAAD6t9DeH/article/how-to-serve-beer-on-nitro

I carb to a little over 1 volume, then put it on nitro at 35 PSI. It wiill eventually carb under nitro, but it takes a while, so I usually force carb or keg condition to get me close to 1.0 volumes. The nitrogen is barely soluble in beer, so it's really there just to push the beer through the restrictor plate without overcarbing the beer.

I usually force carb by setting the PSI between 15 and 20, then connecting the gas disconnect to the liquid post, then shake/agitate the keg for a minute or so. Then I connect it to the nitro and leave it for about a day or two at serving pressure. That seems to give it enough time to come down to temp and for things to equalize.

One of the main problems everyone has with a new nitro set up is to overcarb the beerbefore putting it on the nitro. You can just hook it up to the beergas and it will slowly carb up. The nitro will not dissolve into the beer, just the CO2. I prefer to lightly carb it up with CO2 and then hook it up to the beergas. I set my regulator at about 5-8 psi and give it a week. Then hook it up to the beergas at30-35 lbs and I get great pours that way..

enjoy

Latest posts

Back