My first grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hansen_sh

Reaction score
I got a MB kit for Christmas and have brewed 3 batches of MB extract beers with good results and wanted to move up. I ended up with the trial of BeerSmith2 and thought wow how easy:eek:.

After brewing, I did more research (I know I should have done that before) I realized that my recipe was not exactly traditional for a Dry Stout (that's what I was going for). I was just kind of making it up. So my questions are

1) Would this even be called a Stout?
2) Has anyone done something similar? (Dark LME + Dark grains + late hops)
3) How do you think it will turn out?

Here it is (keep in mind 2 1/4 gallon batch)...

3 1/3 # Dark LME
1/2 # Pale Malt 2 Row
1/4 # Roasted Barley
1/4 # Chocolate Malt

BIAB method from DeathBrewers post adjusted for size.

45 minute boil
1/2 oz Cascade 40min
1/2 oz Northern 10min
US-05 pitched @ 64F

OG - 1.060

I could just wait a couple months and drink it but that's part of the reason for this forum right, something to do while you drink home brew and wait:mug:

Generally looks OK. The big problem is that you don't know what the dark extract brings to the party ..... Is it Chocolate Malt, Roasted, Black, or just colored?

It is always best to use light extract and get flavors and color from added grain.

I did not check the link, but I assume that is showing you how to mash rather than steep.

Could be a decent beer.

I am in agreement with the 'fog' of the dark LME. I have never used it myself (I followed the protocol Calder mentions, steeping in light extract), but how exactly is it made to be dark? is your roasted barley or chocolate going to be doubling up? Is it dark because of crystal only?

It'll be a stout. I think , at worst, it'll be very bitter and taste burnt. But it won't kill you and it'll get you drunk.

Now to adderss this comment "something to do while you drink home brew and wait" . What you do is buy another fermentor and start developing your pipeline.

Thanks for the replies, good points for sure.

I never even thought about the Dark LME. This whole thing was an experiment for me (even more so, the more I learn). I could have gone with a kit but this seemed more adventurous.

The LME was Briess Dark Unhopped Liquid Malt Extract from Midwest "made with Base malt, Caramel 60 °L, and Black malt". I can see now how it would be easier to control light extract. I guess this was a brew first, ask questions later sort of deal.

A better pipeline is in the works for sure. As much as I can get away with. The wife bought me the MB so it's kind of her fault right?:)

However, a bigger pipeline will not eliminate the drinking of home brew while waiting for the home brew.

You're in luck. Being that the LME was Breiss, you can go to the Breiss website and research the exact composition of the malt extract as they tell you the exact proportions of every grain that goes into their extract.

I'm not sure it's a Briess product. I think it's made by Midwest from Briess malts.

Can anyone confirm?

Briess Dark Unhopped Liquid Malt Extract

Does Midwest repackage a Briess LME for this and if so what Briess LME is it?

I would like to get a breakdown of the in case I want to convert it to an AG or convert it to a Light Extract recipe.

Based on what it said: Briess Dark Unhopped Liquid Malt Extract has a Fermentability of 76%. It creates a wort color typically 25.0 °L to 45.0 °L with a usage rate of 6 lbs. per 5 gallons. The Amber Malt is made with Base malt, Caramel 60 °L, and Black malt.

Based on color and recommended usage, it would land in the stout range for color and gravity. I just read a user's review of the product. They implied that it was a good dark base that you could make better with specialty grains if you wanted to.

I think you'll be alright with what you prepared. In fact I bet it'll be pretty good.

I don't know if they repackage or make their own with their malts...But, I went to the Briess site and they didn't have any more info regarding their extracts.

Back