my first electric HLT...with salvaged power strip switch & circuit breaker

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

odie

Reaction score
Finally making the jump to electric brewing...I had an old aluminum turkey fryer pot that I decided to give a second life...plus if I F'd it up, it was just and old pot anyway...

Used a SS 120v/1550watt element from flea bay...and a couple fittings for valve and temps...

Getting the fittings to not leak required much trial and error until I found a sequence of fittings and o-rings/gaskets that worked...

I originally wired an old power strip cord (14/3 gauge) directly to the element but that required plugging and unplugging to operate the heater...then I was looking at the leftovers and thought why don't I try using the power strip switch and breaker (15amp)??? I probably need an extra pic of the re-wired guts (switch and CB)

not the prettiest kettle but it will bring a full pot to rolling boil in 1:45 at 55-60' outside temps on 110v. I plan to put a wrap of some type around it.

Attachments

• IMG_3365.JPG
    IMG_3365.JPG
    283.3 KB · Views: 190
  • IMG_3367.JPG
    IMG_3367.JPG
    252.6 KB · Views: 187
  • IMG_3397.JPG
    IMG_3397.JPG
    251.3 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_3370.JPG
    IMG_3370.JPG
    250.5 KB · Views: 180
Last edited:
I hope you have a GFI outlet for that :)

Really, not too bad really. Now you need some kind of temp control or thermistor to keep it where you want the temp to be......oh and a timer to turn it on early so you come into the brew day with preheated water.

this is just to heat mash water....working on converting my big "Greek olive oil barrel" SS kettle to electric with a plug-in dial controller...

and it's plugged into the outside or kitchen outlets...always GFI by code on any house...

Back