My first day here

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sohal1025

Reaction score
It seems all confusing to absorb all of this info at once. Is there a good read i can get into that explains the basics for home brewing?
Im looking to get into brewing my own and buying a kegerator but figured i would read up on the hobby before trying anything. Someone please point me the right direction... Thanks

Here's a really good reference - http://www.howtobrew.com/

It starts out simple and direct and can get you informed quickly on the basics. It gets super technical later in the book.

To start - keep things simple unless you have someone to show you the more complicated methods first hand.

I started with a Brewer's Best Deluxe equipment set. It has been a good start since everything needed (except boiling pot and bottles) is included. And their ingredient kits are the same way - everything needed is included.

Get some StarSan and a spray bottle for sanitizing things. And some cleanser like PBW (Powder Brewery Wash) Cleanser.

Enjoy it !

Just starting out myself and the best thing I've seen so far is "How to Brew" by Palmer...just google Home brewing or How to brew and it comes right up...he hits all the basics in a concise, coherent way tag even I can understand...and it's free!

Good luck

It seems all confusing to absorb all of this info at once. Is there a good read i can get into that explains the basics for home brewing?
Im looking to get into brewing my own and buying a kegerator but figured i would read up on the hobby before trying anything. Someone please point me the right direction... Thanks

To me at least, brewing comes in levels. The first is just the basics, which is mostly cleaning, sanitation, and brewing processes like cooking, fermentation. I would figure out a brew I could make where I could ignore the other variables and focus on the basics. You will learn a lot by simply making those early, simple batches.

Welcome! Don't overlook Homebrewing For Dummies, it's an excellent book, especially if you're starting from the ground up! Cheers.
:mug:

these three books will help alot

how to brew
desinging great beer
brewing classic styles

I'd read the above now and then again in a month or two, it's amazing how much more you'll pick up the second time.

Also go through the forums and read the sticky threads and FAQ's, TONS of info there.

Once you read the books, and understand some of the basic, there are a bunch of brewing videos on youtube. Before I made the leap to all-grain, I watch a bunch of the all-grain videos and it took some of my anxiety away.

Back