My first competition results

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

estricklin

Reaction score
So I entered the Beer for Boobs competition in Ohio, with 4 entries. One was a Pilsner I did not have much hope for. The next, I wasn't sure what to enter it as so went with specialty category, it was an amber lager with assertive dry hopping at 3.76 ABV. I had a Robust Porter, and a California Common.

My Pilsner got a 22, the (what I'm calling) Arkansas Lager scored 26, the Porter 28, and the California Common got a 36 and took 2nd in it's category!! I'm so excited, I've already sent an Amirillo APA into another competition, and since I'm off work for the next 4 weeks I'm going to brew like crazy for some competitions.

I'm drinking a nice Moose Drool clone right now, thinking about entering it but not sure what category, any ideas?

I will post more info when I get my score cards but I just couldn't wait!

So I entered the Beer for Boobs competition in Ohio, with 4 entries. One was a Pilsner I did not have much hope for. The next, I wasn't sure what to enter it as so went with specialty category, it was an amber lager with assertive dry hopping at 3.76 ABV. I had a Robust Porter, and a California Common.

My Pilsner got a 22, the (what I'm calling) Arkansas Lager scored 26, the Porter 28, and the California Common got a 36 and took 2nd in it's category!! I'm so excited, I've already sent an Amirillo APA into another competition, and since I'm off work for the next 4 weeks I'm going to brew like crazy for some competitions.

I'm drinking a nice Moose Drool clone right now, thinking about entering it but not sure what category, any ideas?

Congrats on the results. I believe Moose Drool is an American Brown Ale.

Congrats. The first beer I entered into a competition was an oatmeal stout mainly for constructive criticism but I ended up taking first out of 33 stouts! Needless to say I'll be entering more competitions.

Congrats. The first beer I entered into a competition was an oatmeal stout mainly for constructive criticism but I ended up taking first out of 33 stouts! Needless to say I'll be entering more competitions.

Right on man, I was just expecting to get some mid 20s maybe, mostly wanted the feedback. I won't lie, I wanna win now.

estricklin said:
Right on man, I was just expecting to get some mid 20s maybe, mostly wanted the feedback. I won't lie, I wanna win now.

I am right there with ya. Keep improving your technique and hopefully we'll see each other in the finals of NHC :)

I have been thinking about doing a competition but I wasn't sure how they work. Do you have to go there? From your post it doesn't sound like you do. IS there a central location where you can find different competitions?

TIA.

I have been thinking about doing a competition but I wasn't sure how they work. Do you have to go there? From your post it doesn't sound like you do. IS there a central location where you can find different competitions?

TIA.

You can go to the BJCP website and get a free digital copy of the style guidelines, they also have a list of scheduled competitions, there is one happening almost every week. From there you can go to each website and read the entry and registration rules. You can either go in person, or do what most of us do, and ship them in. The process isn't as scary as you think, so go for it!

TIA.

Link to BJCP Competitions Schedule

Most competitions you can mail entries in from anywhere. Local comps may have drop offs near you so your entries won't get 'bottle sick' from shipping. Some have public awards announcements; for most comps it would just be boring to watch if you're not a judge or steward. Volunteer to steward at one nearby.

I am right there with ya. Keep improving your technique and hopefully we'll see each other in the finals of NHC :)

Oh I hope so. FYI all of my beer names have a common theme, it's music. Such as Open Chord Porter, or A Minor Blonde, so if you see any with a name like that it's probably me.

I haven't entered any competitions; in fact I'm still bottle conditioning my first serious attempt at brewing (and fermenting my second). But I can't see a downside to entering them. Best-case scenario: you win something, and get some positive reinforcement.

Worst-case scenario: you get some relevant critiques concerning what you need to work on. Or get a critique from some clueless judge that gives you a great story to share here, because it's so far off-base...:D

You can go to the BJCP website and get a free digital copy of the style guidelines, they also have a list of scheduled competitions, there is one happening almost every week. From there you can go to each website and read the entry and registration rules. You can either go in person, or do what most of us do, and ship them in. The process isn't as scary as you think, so go for it!

Thanks so much. I'd love some good feedback.

Link to BJCP Competitions Schedule

Most competitions you can mail entries in from anywhere. Local comps may have drop offs near you so your entries won't get 'bottle sick' from shipping. Some have public awards announcements; for most comps it would just be boring to watch if you're not a judge or steward. Volunteer to steward at one nearby.

Great information. I didn't realize you could mail in an entry. That makes things much easier. :)

I haven't entered any competitions; in fact I'm still bottle conditioning my first serious attempt at brewing (and fermenting my second). But I can't see a downside to entering them. Best-case scenario: you win something, and get some positive reinforcement.

Worst-case scenario: you get some relevant critiques concerning what you need to work on. Or get a critique from some clueless judge that gives you a great story to share here, because it's so far off-base...:D

After talking to some folks who are working towards their BJCP judge certifications, I decided two things. 1) I would need much more spare time and a greater desire (now lacking) to do that before tackling the very serious requirements and 2) I'd value the opinions of those trained minds and palettes. I hope that the clueless ones are few and far between.

To increase competition success, enter the same beer in two categories: american brown ale and the english northern brown ale.

edit: If you read the bjcp link cited, the overall impression describes Am brown ale as slightly more hoppy etc than the English version.

Competitions are usually a numbers game.

Say they tell you to enter two 12oz bottles for an entry, does that mean if you enter the same beer into 2 different categories you would send 4 bottles?

Oh I hope so. FYI all of my beer names have a common theme, it's music. Such as Open Chord Porter, or A Minor Blonde, so if you see any with a name like that it's probably me.

We don't see the clever names, unfortunately, as the entries are "blind". We don't see any identifying things like labels or stickers or names. I have no idea whose beers I'm judging, except not my own, as you are excluded from judging any category that you've entered.

Say they tell you to enter two 12oz bottles for an entry, does that mean if you enter the same beer into 2 different categories you would send 4 bottles?

Yes. Two bottles for each entry, with the proper form/label rubberbanded to each bottle.

Back