My first brewing-related injury

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calypso

Reaction score
It's all fun and games until you dump boiling hot wort all over your hand.

LqQtMId.jpg

Thanks. First couple hours were mighty painful. It's not bad now (though that might just be the prescription painkillers talking...) Worst part is NO ALCOHOL!

No alcohol? Why not, it will just take less. So I have to ask did you finish the batch?

Haha, Tramadol and alcohol don't go well together sadly. :(

I wasn't even brewing, I was just dissolving some DME for a starter! As soon as that DME hit the water it was like a volcano at a science fair. And nope, I didn't finish. The boiling water got flung every which way.

Ouch! Pretty nice second degrees! Keep it clean and don't pop the blisters if you can avoid it. Your hand is extremely vulnerable to infection until it's healed, and infections are no joke. Sorry, nurse rant.

Never burned myself that bad with boiling liquids before but I did accidentally do it twice in the past 8 years with a torch and those blisters are defiantly painful. Hopefully they will be like the one on my middle finger that one didn't leave a scar, The one I did on the inside of my wrist scared up pretty bad though. Next time mix the dme with cold water first then heat it up in the flask. Don't drop the stir bar in after it comes to a boil either "don't ask how I know" lol.

did the same to the top of my foot about 3 years ago. by the time i got my shoe and sock off, my foot was pretty raw. hang in there man. the scabbing and skin stretching/cracking will be the next fun part.
-all in a daze work ;D

Looks nasty, if you haven't seen a doctor and any of the burns are circumferential (all the way around any digit) defiantly go see one now. You don't want to wind up with a hand with impaired function.

I wasn't even brewing, I was just dissolving some DME for a starter! As soon as that DME hit the water it was like a volcano at a science fair. And nope, I didn't finish. The boiling water got flung every which way.

Those Erlenmeyer flasks are tricky. They should come with a warning. After my first wort volcano (and subsequent mess all over the stove) I learned to add DME then apply heat. It doesn't clump at the neck as much, either.

Hope you heal up quickly!

It's all good. My brother works at a level 1 trauma center, and he put me on the phone with a burn nurse. She's been following up and seems happy with how things are healing.

I actually was boiling the wort in a regular 1 gallon pot. Can you put Erlenmeyer flasks on a burner...?

I put my flask right on the burner. Has to be the special kind of glass though, can't remember what it's called

You did this with a starter? That sucks bad. Heal fast and I have it on super good authority that tramadol and alcohol are like cheese and crackers. ;) Just sayin'.

Just made a starter last night for a brew this weekend. I turn the flame off when adding the DME. i also have a flask i could use on the stove but i prefer to use a pot then cool it and add it to the flask. The last time i used a flask to boil i got crap everywhere from the boil over.

Get some Vitamin E to help it heal and reduce scarring.

The only injury ive had was a burn. I was doing a partial mash in a bag. Had my wife poor 170 deg water thru the bag to sparge it while my dumb ass was holding the bag up over the pot. She poured it all over my hands. "it was a accident" lol

I did my first two all-grain batches last weekend. I aaaaaaalmost poured the mash water into the MLT with the ball valve open. The MLT was up on a table at the time, and I was standing right in front of it. So... you can imagine where the spigot was pointing. :p

I thought I broke my finger yesterday while trying to tighten the gas nozzle onto my propane tank. It subsequently broke causing my finger to smash into the edge of the guard around the top. I managed to use another burner I had and finished the brew day.

My wife says egg whites, work great on burns. I'm not sure about major burns though.

I did my first two all-grain batches last weekend. I aaaaaaalmost poured the mash water into the MLT with the ball valve open. The MLT was up on a table at the time, and I was standing right in front of it. So... you can imagine where the spigot was pointing. :p

Haha, I've been super careful about that so far. First thing I noted when I put that kettle on the burner was that spigot was right at crotch level!

The most dramatic burn experience I ever had was back when my dad and I were welding old oil well pipe and sucker rods into feed yard fences, back in Colorado.

It was the middle of winter, and I was wearing leather chaps over blue jeans and long johns. We were working with pretty dirty pipe, so we were cranked up high to blast through it and moving fast....

A big molten blob landed in my crotch, burned through my jeans and long johns, and started sizzling between my inner thigh and my right nut. I commenced to pounding on myself and hopping around, and the blob sizzled its way down my inner thigh and hung up at my knee. A few more dramatic moves got it moving again, and it worked its way in spurts down to my ankle and hung up there. While I was hopping around and screaming, it burned its way into my two pairs of woolen socks. Before I got my boot and socks off and shook it loose, it had settled into the arch of my foot and was still sizzling....

That night I added a leather flap that completely covered my crotch, and tucked solidly into the other side.

My dad didn't seem to be properly sympathetic at the time; I guess he was too busy laughing to say anything comforting. But I had my revenge a few weeks later, when the heavy pinstriped work shirt he was wearing suddenly burst into flame all across his belly and chest.

That was a strange one, too. We tried holding a match to parts of the shirt that hadn't been exposed while he was welding (like the tucked-in shirttail), and couldn't get them to burn. But the parts that had been subjected to the radiation from his welding lit up like they were dry toilet paper....

Haha, that's great, Troy. You know... in hindsight. :D

Hand is healing nicely. Felt good enough today that I brewed and got my saison into the fermenter. As they say, the brew must go on. (I'm sure someone has said that before, right?)

Back