My First Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hops-4-Life

Reaction score
I did my first brew ever today - an all grain 5 gallon batch sparge brew - Brewiz and I have done quite a few brews at his house, but I just had to get my own setup and get busy brewing - Everything went great and we were done in 4.5 hours. I plan to go right on top of my current primary next weekend when I transfer. Next brew will be 14 lbs of grain

Here is a link to a little video / slide show I did of my brew. :mug:

Video

I don't want to here this. :)

How come you can finish in 4.5 hrs, when it still takes me 6 - 7 hrs after 15 years practice? :confused:

Congrats!

-a.

ajf said:
How come you can finish in 4.5 hrs, when it still takes me 6 - 7 hrs after 15 years practice? :confused:
-a.

I preheated the mash tun to 130 degrees early this morning and had the grain cracked last night. I mashed with 4.5 gallons and heated the sparge water during the 1 hour wait. After the sparge water was added I started heating the 1st few gallons of wort while I waited on the 15 minute sparge - I added the rest of the wort to the pot and we had the hot break pretty soon afterwards.

The burner / 10 Gallon pot combo heats extremely fast - plus - when we chilled the wort it took about 15 minutes - It was below freezing out side and the water was very cold going into the chiller. The carboy was already sanitized so we went straight in. 1 pot to clean, 1 bucket and a mash tun - into the tub to ferment and then to our favorite burger-n-beer joint for lunch!

Thanks for the reply!

Whoo-Hooo - I have little baby bubbles coming out of my airlock... :rockin: :mug:

It's been 18 hours since I pitched the yeast and it's looking good! It's holding at 66 Degrees. Man, this is an awesome hobby! :ban:

Frementing-Day1.jpg

Dude said:
Kick ass vid man! Loved the music selections.... :D

What did you guys drink at the very beginning in those little glass bottles?

They were miniature bottles of Makers Mark whiskey (at 9 in the morning:cross: )

Makers Mark wasnt it? He he, great vid and great music... Congrats!

The Pol

Latest posts

Back