My First Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CJR

Reaction score
Hi everybody,

My first brew is a cider made from a homebrew kit. I started the process on the 16th December and went home for the holidays, letting it ferment at around 10-16 degrees Celcius until today. I'm wondering if it is possible for overfermentation to occur and if I'll have bottling issues.

It is currently sitting in the bottling bucket, currently unprimed. I don't want an extremely carbonated cider, just wondering what the best method of priming is?

Also, has anybody used the Prohibition Liqueur kits?

Thank you. :mug:

Is it done fermenting? You would be able to determine this by taking a couple gravity readings over the course of a few days, if the gravity is still dropping, it's still fermenting, and if so, then you will have problems with bottling. There is no issue with "over fermenting". The yeast will simply ferment all the fermentable sugars until there are none left or until the yeast dies from a higher alcohol percentage than they can handle. Most people let their ciders ferment/age for months (like 4+) before bottling, and then let them age in the bottles for several more months. Young cider, to me, tastes like crap lol.

As for the amount of carbonation, typically 5 oz of priming sugar for 5 gallons of beer is about average for beer carbonation. I wouldn't go higher than 5 oz, but you could definitely add less sugar for less carbonation.

Over-fermentation isn't an issue. In fact, if you aren't taking gravity readings letting it sit for a while may be the only way to ensure you don't have bottle bombs. Use the following link to figure out how to prime your brew: http://kotmf.com/tools/prime.php

If this advice is helpful then let me come across the pond and taste your cider. I'll pick up airfare and you let me stay with you and show me around london. deal? deal!

Thanks, the gravity has stopped dropping and its in the "bottle now" stage on the hydrometer. It was a "Ferments in 6-8 days" kit and it's been there for 3 weeks.

I'll probably let it mature for a bit longer although this was one of those homebrew in a can kits rather than making and pressing from scratch (which I'd love to do, just right now a bit pricey). I'm not sure if canned kits need more/less time to mature than cider made from first principles?

And deal anchor. By the time you come, I'll probably be doing from scratch ales so you'll have more things to drink.

Bottled my cider today. Carbonated 5 UK gallons with 1l pressed apple juice (not from conc.) which had just over 4oz sugar in it. FG was 1.015. Is this too high for a cider?

Should probably be okay FG. It'll be a little sweet, but that will take away from a dry table wine like quality some ciders get.

My concern would be priming with apple juice and having other non listed sugars in it. Never done that, always just used good ole dextrose. But 5UK gallons is about 23L (which is about 6 US gal) so you are well below the 5oz per 5 us gal rule of thumb.

Best advice, if the priming works well, and theyre carbed after 3 weeks. sit on them for another month or so. and brew alot more so you have tonnes ready to go once these are done conditioning

Latest posts

Back