My First Brew AKA Brewing With Nothing (With PICS!)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CourtHouseBrewing,
That was stirring, thank you for your kind words. My wife is in-fact getting better by the day. She said, just this afternoon, that she felt as though nothing had even happened. As for the yeast, wait till you see what I have in-store now!

Considering that I am malting my own barley, I figured that my malt enzyme count was most likely wanting. In addition to this, the heavy dose of flaked wheat, flaked oats, roasted barley and peanuts will readily use up whatever alpha-amylase that is produced.

The solution seemed to be the addition of some external source of alpha-amylase. In keeping with my bright range of purples and reds, I decided to use a fungus by the name of Monascus purpureus to add this extra dose of enzymes into the mix.

After much searching, it seems I have found what I was looking for:

6891-red-yeast-rice.jpg

What you see here is known as red yeast rice. It is simply white rice that has been fermented with the mould mentioned above.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1389172310002434

As the study states; Monascus purpureus, when placed around 35 degrees Celsius, exhibits strong cell growth. When the temperature is then dropped to 25 degrees Celsius, its alpha-amylase production experiences an 1800% increase.

My idea is to malt the pale ale part of my grain bill, as best I can. Then, the remaining ingredients will be placed onto the radiator, save the peanuts, to fermented with this fungus. It will then be moved to a cooler part of the house. After that, they will be dried once more and stored in the refrigerator to prevent further fermentation. Finally, they will be used in mashing as if they were regular malts or adjuncts, added to the boil in order to kill off all of the Monascus purpureus and activate the amylase.

To insure viability, the Monascus purpureus will be cultured and then spread unto new white rice to build up the initial culture for inoculation usage.

6892-syringe-culture.jpg

6893-syringe-culture.jpg

I was not too careful with drawing the culture into the syringe, considering the source and all. I was, however, quite careful when streaking the agar plates.

Once the colony takes foot, pictures of its growth will be uploaded. That is, of-course, if the original sample is still viable. If not, the search continues.

Edit: Please note that the red colours of the red yeast rice solution and of the previous starter vials are not related. After reading through this thread, I noticed how they look very similar and realized that some might make the mistake of thinking that they were related. This is not the case.

CourtHouseBrewing,
... Finally, they will be used in mashing as if they were regular malts or adjuncts, added to the boil in order to kill off all of the Monascus purpureus and activate the amylase.

My question is, if I understand the link I read.
Are you worried about the PH of the mash will make the α-amylase unstable? This is the part I read and thought might be an issue, just not sure. Quote from link: (Characterization of the purified enzymes revealed that α-amylase was unstable at acidic pH and less resistant to heat) I am truly glued to this thread. Thank you so much for the time and trouble you go through to show and talk about it.
Be well.
:mug:

CourtHouseBrewing,
I had figured that by unstable it meant the alpha-amylase would be more prone to reacting with the starches and breaking them down into simpler sugars. In chemistry, the terms reactive and unstable are often interchanged, though it is considered bad practice. At-least, I hope that to be the case. I really have no idea.

Like I've said, I have been waiting my whole life for a chance to jump into microbiology, chemistry and just science in general. For all the interest that you feel, I guarantee that mine is ten fold. I wake up every day eager to see how these little experiments have progressed. Being able to document my adventures into the world of brew-science and share it with all of you, well, it is a great feeling to say the least. I will try my best to insure that my progress lives up to your enthusiasm, as well as my own!

Take care :mug:

So, I went out and bought the carboys!

2012-03-01 12.43.56.jpg

They are one-hundred percent glass, faucets and all, and absolutely stunning.

Unfortunately, they are not auto-clavable. That means, I will have to use chemicals to clean them, in-place of heat. It also means that I will have to cool my wort before putting it into the carboys.

See here for details of my solution to that problem:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/modifying-stock-pot-mash-cooling-illustrations-308654/

None-the-less, they are great little carboys. Each one is 10 liters or approximately 2.6 Gallons. They seal by using roughened glass. Basically, the places where they need to be secure are textured to prevent seepage. They came with glass lids but, as I will need to modify their caps, I bought large rubber stops to use instead.

:fro:

Contact me, you can send me a PM. I am in Beijing and we just started a homebrew club here. We have access to the ingredients, equipment etc. Good luck, I need to make the train ride down to Tianjin some weekend, maybe we can hook up.

Lots of beers in Beijing. If you make it up this way let me know.

So, I went out and bought the carboys!

They are one-hundred percent glass, faucets and all, and absolutely stunning.

I bought large rubber stops to use instead.

Let me know where you got these. We are still trying to source glass carboys locally. Plastic is not a problem, they are everywhere, but glass would be nice. And the smaller size is appealing for some other things as well (like black rice wine).

Harlond,
Thanks, they have huge mouths as well. My wife can stick her arm down in there for cleaning with no problem! (I could probably fit mine too, but hey, I don't want her to know that!) :D

TinTurtle,
That sounds great. Maybe if I could get some of my friends together on it, we could start a homebrew club here in Tianjin.

Eventually, I have to get back to the U.S. embassy in Beijing to finish paperwork. When that happens, I will send you a message and let you know. It'd be great to meet some other enthusiasts and go see the scene there.

You can find carboys like these at a science supply shop. You might have to request it from a catalogue of theirs. If that is the case, you just call in advance and they'll get it within a day. If you don't have any luck, let me know. I could always bring a few dozen or so up that way if I could get enough out of it to cover my travel expenses and such.

By the way, what sort of hop selection does your group have access to so far? Perhaps, you could recommend a place for me to buy some.

So, this is just a quick update as to the yeast harvesting.

I used syringes to extract yeast samples from each of the five test tubes and then proceeded to open them up. Well, they seem to have soured. The taste wasn't vinegar so I don't suspect acetobacter. It was just an unpleasant sour, like stagnant water.

Luckily, there was one that did smell alcoholic and somewhat strange. It had a very interesting and funky smell. I was almost skunk-like, in a pleasant way. So, I streaked the syringe sample onto agar and let it sit on the radiator for a couple days.

Today, I took a look and there were several yeast colonies growing. I made a little wort-like substance using malt, roasted barley, black rice and a pinch of sugar and sterilized it in the pressure cooker, stored in the test tubes again.

After inoculating the vials, I gave the agar a wiff. The smell was great. It had such a funky and yeasty smell. I think that I have found a keeper here!

After inoculating the vials, I gave the agar a wiff. The smell was great. It had such a funky and yeasty smell. I think that I have found a keeper here!

Yea for the good guys! :D
My wife wants to make bread from wild yeast so do let me know how this turns out. I would love to brew a beer with wild yeast then let her use the spent grains and wild yeast cake for a matching bread. Love this hobby. Take care

Once we have them isolated, I am not so sure they should still be called wild! :D

That does sound like it could be quite delectable though! To change-up the local parting;
Cook On!
smileys-cooking-611983.gif

This is really interesting. Good on you. I hope you end up with a good beer, and method that you can refine and make it easier on yourself in the future.

Thanks for chronicling it for us.
~rc~

Subscribed. This is fantastic!

Just found this thread and read it all the way through. PLEASE keep us updated as you go along. Fascinating stuff!! :rockin:

Bronzdragon, Cordane:

Thank you for the encouragement! I will keep posting updates as they happen.

For today, I would like to share some pictures!

BeforeInoculation.jpg

Here is the medium I prepared before sterilizing and inoculating it. It was a mixture of malt, semi-roasted barley and some black rice. The black rice was not put in till the end and it only imparted a bit of its purple colour. It actually made it pretty reddish.

Cooling3.jpg

After letting it ferment for around five days, I decided to cold crash it in my refrigerator. The yeast is starting to drop out and I guess that technically this could even be considered my first ale, yahoo for me! There were originally four containers but I opened one a few days ago. It was the least active looking of the bunch and I decided that for that reason alone it wouldn't be the one chosen to progress to the next stage.

The taste was amazing, it had tasting notes of smoked wood for a barbecue and funkiness. The carbonation was present and it just seemed wonderful, except for the terrible thickness of it.

ToTheLight.jpg

But, as you can see, the proteins and yeast are dropping. In their wake is a clearer peach coloured liquid. Soon enough, I will be able to able to sample the test and choose the one to continue to the next round:

Making real starters!

:rockin:

wow keep up the good work. I see the beginnings of a Tianjin Micro Brewery. Maybe in the old foreign sector with all the different architectural styles! Since your beer blends east and west your pub should too!

Cheers!

I just hope it is a good beer that I am diving into! But, yeah, it is my pleasure to document all of this on here and have people interested in it.

Actually, I have been thinking of opening a little LHBS/brewery/restaurant with one of my friends here. Of-course, that wouldn't be for another year or till I have gotten the hang of brewing. For the time being, it will be nice just to finish this first attempt!

Great to see you are making it to the next round Xier.
How is the equipment coming along?
Can't wait to see you brewing.
Be well.

It has been quite a while! Now, let us talk of the current state of this project.

Despite using different sources for the red yeast rice, I have had no success in isolating Monascus purpureus. It seems the vast majority of distributors are either pasteurizing their products or that they are selling fakes.

The yeast isolation has progressed nicely and, since last time, I have moved from sugar and my poor attempt at malt to making test tubes of cider, which turned out quite well. Then, I happened upon an interesting little shop where they sold the fungus used in producing Chinese rice wine.

I inoculated a combination of black rice and rolled barley. I let it ferment for a few days and then mashed it as I would regular malted grain. The resulting liquid was sweet, purple and pretty interesting. From there, I brought it to a full boil with some puer tea as a bittering agent. My yeast was pitched into the bitter-wort and I set it aside for a few days to ferment.

I have to say that I am very impressed with the results! It is in-fact beer! Well, technically it is an Ale, but you know what I mean. I have it cold-crashing in my refrigerator at the moment to see if it can be cleared of its haze. The fermentation is of-course incomplete and it has had absolutely no time to age, but the point was to see if it could be at all similar to that drink we all love. Now that I see it can, I will buy the hop pellets this Monday when I visit Beijing.

It is all so exciting! This latest fungal find seems to be even better than the Monascus. I can not wait to try this in mass.

:D

Back