My first batch. Need some advise...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peakskier

Reaction score
So over the weekend I brewed up my first batch of Midwest Bavarian Wheat and there were 2 things that I did wrong. The first screw up was not filtering out the hops from the wort after putting it in the primary. I realized this after an hour after pitching my dry yeast. I opened up the bucket and filtered the sediment and put it back in the bucket. Everything the beer touched was sterile FWIW. The other thing I did wrong was I used Muntons ale yeast instead of the Danstar Munich German Wheat Beer yeast. Is this batch going to be bad and should I pitch it? I have to say it is fermenting quite nicely and it smells great. Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

Dave

The ONLY thing you did wrong, was opening the fermentor to filter out sediment.

RELAX!!!

It will probably be OK, but sure would be a shame if you infected your beer removing HOPS!!!!

Some people (like me) leave the hops in....on purpose!lol.

The yeast will be fine, next time try the right yeast and see the difference.

:mug:

I don't filter the hops from my beer. For me it always just made a bigger mess and was more of a hassle than it's worth.

Your beer should be just fine.

I do filter, but I didn't filter my first couple of kits. All that happened was I ended up with a lot more trub in the primary and the bottom of the bottles.

You should have left the primary closed.

As far as the yeast goes, it probably won't have as good of a wheat flavor as it could have, but often those kits come with generic Munton's or Danstar yeast so I think you'll still have a perfectly decent beer for your first batch.

Relax.

You should be fine. I doubt you'll get an infection as long as you were sanitary. Never pitch a homebrew. Even if it's bad it can be given to inlaws! Grats on your first brew and welcome to the addiction!:mug:

If it is sub par, forget it for 6 months and try again.

I have had 1 or 2 crappy brews absofreakingly redeem themselves 5 or 6 months later.

Latest posts

Back