My First American Pale Ale (extract brew)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigTuna

Reaction score
MyAmericanPaleAle.jpg

Here's my export from Beer tools. I am in favor of steeping the grain first rather than doing 100% extract. Please critique and feel free to share opinions.

Thanks!

To be completely honest, I'm not sure I understand this recipe's goal. The amount of Corn Sugar you're using is going to result in a rather dry beer, with possible cidery flavors. The only actual grain is the 1/2 pound of 2-Row. This is a base malt that typically requires a mash. Since you're not steeping it with any other specialty grains, I don't really see the point of using it. Also, your decision to use a Belgian-style yeast isn't really appropriate for an APA -- try something like Wyeast 1056 or Safeale US-05.

Dryhopping with Cascade is a good idea for an APA.

Is there something specific you're trying to do with this recipe? Is there a particular beer that this recipe is patterned after?

So I am really new to writing my own recipes, as I am also new to brewing. I have always like the beers i've made that had specialty grains in them. What would you recommend for specialty grains? Also, not sure why I picked a belgian style yeast, I think I forgot to save it when I switched it out. As for the Corn sugar, I was looking for a way to boost up the abv a bit... what is a better alternative for a smoother taste? Like I said, I'm new to writing recipes and new to the beer tools program so I really appreciate any advice. I have been searching around at different recipes so I'm not taking a blind stab at this and just bugging people on forums. Thanks

Ok So.. I know this is a really quick reply with my adjusted recipe but I think I have a bit of a better understanding now...

MyAmericanPaleAle-1.jpg

This looks better. :mug:

I like toasted malt, and I think it could work well in an APA. I say brew it, and see how it turns out. I can assure you, it will be beer.

When you're just starting out with recipe design, consider sticking with simpler recipes until you know what to expect from the ingredients. Consider brewing a SMaSH recipe to familiarize yourself with a particular base malt and strain of hops.

This would probably be pretty similar. The trick is trying to determine what would be in the Amber malt extract...

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 20.00 qt
Boil Size: 25.66 qt
Estimated OG: 1.055 SG
Estimated Color: 11.1 SRM
Estimated IBU: 38.3 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU