My first all grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lovemybrew

Reaction score
First, thanks everyone that posts here, I do use the search and have found a wealth of information.

Everything went pretty well, I just have a couple of followup questions for the experts.
Details:
- rectangular cooler mash tun with ss manifold (worked like a charm)
- 7.5 gallon brewpot (on the stove)
- immersion chiller (first I've used one, worked well considering the outside temp and temp of the water)
- 12.125 lbs of grain (11.25 lbs Maris Otter, .75 lbs 80L Crystal, .125 roasted barley)
- strike water: 4 gallons at 164 (compensated for temp drop in cooler).
- preheated the cooler with hot tap water
- Mash temp: 154 (was actually going for 152, it didn't drop as much as I expected, but still ok)
- mashed for 60 min. mash held with temp with maybe a 1 degree drop.
- ran a few quarts off to clear the mash. gently added back to the mash.
- drained about 2.25 gallons, added to the brewpot. sample had a gravity reading of 1.059 (at a temp of 60).
- batch sparged with 5 gallons of 175 degree water
- waited 15 minutes
- ran a few quarts to clear
- drained about 4+ gallons, added to the brewpot. Sample had a gravity reading of 1.03 (at a temp of 60)
- boiled 60 minutes (took about an hour to get to boiling, next time I'll start heating the first runnings to speed up the process).
- immersion chiller worked pretty good, maybe 20 minutes to get it down to about 90 degrees, then I had to put it in the sink with an icebath. Overall, about an hour to chill.
- I was a little under in the fermentation bucket, so I added 1/2 gallon of water
- OG: 1.060
- pitched 1084 yeast at around 4pm, active fermentation this morning

Questions:
* I'm happy with the OG, it's on target. Is my 'efficiency' acceptable? I found this site: http://www.brewersfriend.com/brewhouse-efficiency/. But I didn't take a COMBINED PRE-BOIL gravity measurement.

* Any issues with adding the 1/2 gallon of water? I assumed not, because when I do partial mashes, I never had the full 5+ gallons of wort to start with, and would add water.

There's not really such a thing as an acceptable efficiency except in your own mind. What you're looking for is repeatability so you can consistently plan how much grain you need for a given OG. Once you get three or four brews at the same efficiency you can start tweaking your process for improvements.

I'm currently running about 62%. I want to increase it for bragging rights, but I'm perfectly capable of turning out consistent beer. That's what really matters.

I did my first AG last night, too, though it was BIAB. Might I suggest a turkey-fryer style burner. The boil was much quicker. I did use the stove to bring the grain up to 160/150 though.

B

There's not really such a thing as an acceptable efficiency except in your own mind. What you're looking for is repeatability so you can consistently plan how much grain you need for a given OG. Once you get three or four brews at the same efficiency you can start tweaking your process for improvements.

I'm currently running about 62%. I want to increase it for bragging rights, but I'm perfectly capable of turning out consistent beer. That's what really matters.

thanks; I often hear people talk about their efficiency, and wanted to be prepared to throw out a number. Maybe I'll just make it up for this batch :mug:

I did my first AG last night, too, though it was BIAB. Might I suggest a turkey-fryer style burner. The boil was much quicker. I did use the stove to bring the grain up to 160/150 though.

B

Yeah, my hubby has a burner like that. I thought about trying it for this batch, but it was so damn hot out I decided to stay inside with the a/c.

On another note, I was fine doing partial mashes by myself, and could handle the kettles, etc with around 3 gallons of wort, but doing full boils is too much weight for me to carry. At this point, that's probably the only thing I don't like about all-grain brewing....I need to figure out the process so I can do it on my own.

In regards to your too high mash temp, don't be afraid to get in there and stir that sucker up with the lid off till you get the temp down. I've done that a few times. Much easier to lower the temp than raise it!

In regards to your too high mash temp, don't be afraid to get in there and stir that sucker up with the lid off till you get the temp down. I've done that a few times. Much easier to lower the temp than raise it!

Thanks; I didn't think of it at the time. I was all caught up in the first-all grain, don't-screw-it-up, am i gonna clog the manifold, will this actually work, damn that smells good, moment!

What do you use to stir with, btw? I have a long handled ss spoon, but I was thinking maybe I should have a slotted spoon? Would it stir better/break up the grain balls etc, or wouldn't make any diiference?

Yea, I know the feeling! Also, I find it good to get about an extra quart of water boiling as you dough-in that you can you add to raise the temp a 2-3 degrees if you end up low. Yea, that'll up your grist ratio, but no big deal unless you were mashing really thin already.

I just use a cheap long plastic spoon. I'd say a slotted paddle might be the best, though some of those are just comically big if you're not mashing in a big tun. I think you're fine with what you've got. In my opinion dough balls are a rare occurrence and not something you should spend much time worrying about. I add water to tun first, then grain, stir well, and don't have any problems.

Yeah, my hubby has a burner like that. I thought about trying it for this batch, but it was so damn hot out I decided to stay inside with the a/c.

On another note, I was fine doing partial mashes by myself, and could handle the kettles, etc with around 3 gallons of wort, but doing full boils is too much weight for me to carry. At this point, that's probably the only thing I don't like about all-grain brewing....I need to figure out the process so I can do it on my own.

You just need to build one of these:

photo93.JPG

No lifting required. Just fill the top keg with water from a filtered hose and let gravity do the rest

Back