My first AG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alz28

Reaction score
Hey fellas I haven't posted much on HBT but let me tell you I have been reading and learning alot tanks to all the great info on the site. I did two extracts when I was 19 and now I'm 31 and made a kegerater and thought why not start home brewing again. I did a extract to start off with then decided to go AG. Well $1295 and weeks later of long nights working on my equipment after work I did my first AG Sat. So far I "think" all is going well. The brew is still in the primary and the air lock is starting to slow down a bit but still going. I was wondering how my efficiency turned out on my first AG. What info. do you need to help me figure this out. I'm sure there is a link to a fourmula but I can't seem to find it. Here is my log info.

9.5 lbs German Wheat Malt 2.5
9 lbs Belgian Pale Ale 4.0
Boil 12.5 gal
Final boil 10.5-11.0 gal
gravity 1.050 @ 80 deg 1.052 adjusted for temp

Let me know what you think my efficiency is? By the way this is a Belgian White that I added 2oz of Goldings 5.2 for 60 min. and 1.5 oz each bitter orange peel and corriander.
Thanks Al

On 10.75 gallons in the fermenter, I get an efficiency of about 80%. And holy crap, $1295?? What the heck did you buy?

On 10.75 gallons in the fermenter, I get an efficiency of about 80%. And holy crap, $1295?? What the heck did you buy?

Just off the top of my head the more expiensive stuff was
2 kegs $86
3 stainless valves, bulkheads, 2 dip tubes, 2 compression fitings, false bottom $150
Barly crusher $155
2 stainless Byou Classic burners $182
Wort chiller $74
Sump Pump $50
3 Corni Kegs $105
Wood for stand $70
4 fermenting buckets and 4 carboys $?????
1 gal Iodorf $30
And other things I can't think of right now. Its a nice setup I went all out on the project. I didn't think I spent that much untill I added everything up. The $1295 includes everything from the Kegls down to tubing, cleaning brushes, ect.

Just off the top of my head the more expiensive stuff was
2 kegs $86
3 stainless valves, bulkheads, 2 dip tubes, 2 compression fitings, false bottom $150
Barly crusher $155
2 stainless Byou Classic burners $182
Wort chiller $74
Sump Pump $50
3 Corni Kegs $105
Wood for stand $70
4 fermenting buckets and 4 carboys $?????
1 gal Iodorf $30
And other things I can't think of right now. Its a nice setup I went all out on the project. I didn't think I spent that much untill I added everything up. The $1295 includes everything from the Kegls down to tubing, cleaning brushes, ect.

I'm jealous, but if you find that it is too much equipment, I can give you my address :)

based on the info given, guessing a bit about the specific brands and characteristics of the grains you used, I plugged into Beer Tools Pro and got anywhere from ~84% to 86% efficiency.

Thanks for the replies fellas. I was hoping to get lucky and hit atleast 80 my first AG batch. I like boyurboy's 84 to 86 even beter. Is Beer Tools Pro a free program. And Humann Brewing if I get out of the hobby I'll give you a shout.LOL When I did homebrew when I was 19 I got layed off from Compaq Computers (assembly line) and had to move back home with no were to store my extract homebrew equipment. My Mom was and still is a pack rat to this day, so I gave it to a old friend of mine that showed me how to brew. I'm not planning on getting out the hobby anytime soon so don't get your hopes up Humann Brewing.LOL

Thanks for the replies fellas. I was hoping to get lucky and hit atleast 80 my first AG batch. I like boyurboy's 84 to 86 even beter. Is Beer Tools Pro a free program. And Humann Brewing if I get out of the hobby I'll give you a shout.LOL When I did homebrew when I was 19 I got layed off from Compaq Computers (assembly line) and had to move back home with no were to store my extract homebrew equipment. My Mom was and still is a pack rat to this day, so I gave it to a old friend of mine that showed me how to brew. I'm not planning on getting out the hobby anytime soon so don't get your hopes up Humann Brewing.LOL

I know, I know, I figure if I throw that out there a 1,000 times, maybe I will get a bite. :)

Actually I aquired a lot of my equipment due to a friend not having the room to keep it. I hope he never asks for it back, LOL. He moved to So Cal into a studio apt and well didn't have the room, but I got a glass carboy, bucket, copper chiller, 24 22oz bottles, cleaning brushes and more. All I neede was a cooking pot and burner and I was off. and a couple years later, moved on to Kegging and now moving on to AG.

Back