My First AG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nomad12

Reaction score
So I decided on whim to do my first AG yesterday. The wheather was awesome. The hurricane rains really brought in Fall for the first time so I went for it. Of course it was the Haus APA. LHBS said "interesting little recipe". Got me thinking since just buying all the ingredients each time and having the grain milled I should funk up the hops more next time but back to the brew day. I had three thermometers all saying different things.My new mash tun didnt work. I bought it from the LBHS but I didnt check to make sure the Bazooka T was properly attached. It would work some and then not some. I did find my outside stairs to my place was an awesome place to brew at the base of and move equiptment up as needed. So on to the hops. Well one of the bags was left at the LBHS. It never made it in my bag. So hops schedule was off for sure. So im looking at my boiling water and it has tons of crud. So Im about to wanna say screw it until I have an idea. I took a clean pillow case and poured the boiling water threw it for a filter. Then back up to a boil. New CFC worked great after mandatory tinkering but upgrades will be coming. OG looked good. All in all a great day of learning. Sure it would have been better to have it all planned out but thats life and being impatient. Even if this turns out to be trash its no big deal. Ill just chalk it up to a fun expierence. If this does turn out it will be a celebration!

Congrats on the first AG brew! Sounds like a reasonably typical first attempt. The good news is, your first batch will probably still be pretty darn good, and it sounds like you learned lots of valuable lessons. I bet the next brew goes even better!

Cheers! :mug:

Back