my first AG system

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zlarson

Reaction score
NOTE: I moved this from the AG thread hoping for some more action.

I've been extract brewing for ~6 years now and decided its time to step it up a bit so now I'm in the process of piecing together my first all grain system.

This is what I have so far:
1 keg converted into a boil kettle (sight glass, dip tube, valve, thermo)
1 keg converted into a mash tun (dip tube, valve, full width false bottom, bulk head port on top for recirculating, thermo)
1 inline pump
1 8gal megapot for my HLT

Now I'm planning out my brew stand and I have a few questions. My plan is to build a 2 tier stand with my HLT elevated and my MLT and BK on the same tier. I would use my pump to recirculate the mash while direct firing and then sparge with gravity while pumping into the BK. Would this setup force me to either batch or fly sparge or would I be able to do either?

My second idea is to have the HLT and MLT on the same level with the BK on a second lower tier. I've seen this done before and was wondering what the pro's are.

I would like to here any input or if there are any flaws in my system.

I like the first plan- gravity feed from the HLT for your mash in and sparge while using your pump to recirculate wort in your heat exchanger and then pumping into the boil kettle. You could batch or fly sparge at your leisure.

OR, just get another pump and put them all one level.

I suppose not, although it would be kind of a pain to stir in all your grain if the water is already at its full volume. And you're still going to need the HLT to heat and store water for the sparge. Is there a particular reason you want to use the mash tun that way?

Have you considered going electric, or are you definitely using gas?

My only reason for not going electric is a lack of 220 where I brew. The reason I asked about heating the water in the mash tun is that my HLT is only 8gal but I suppose I could just heat more water for sparging during the mash.

Back