My first AG Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gravityspiral

Reaction score
Brewing my first all-grain saison this weekend. Anyone want to critique my recipe? (Yes I know 1lb of Honey malt is considered by some to be a lot. I have experimented with this malt before and I'm happy with that part of it.) Also probably going to throw a handful or two of rice hulls in.

1oz Sorachi Ace (first wort hop)

9 lbs Pilsner
2 lbs Pale Wheat
1 lb Gambrinus Honey Malt

75 minute mash @ 148F, 75 minute boil.

750ml starter of Wyeast 3711 French Saison

I just brewed a similar recipe with that yeast and in my opinion, you don't need a starter. This yeast is a monster. It started chewing through my beer in under 10 hours with vigorous activity.

IF you're happy with the honey malt, then so be it (I mean it's your beer, enjoy it). Otherwise it looks pretty interesting. I find Sorachi Ace needs a companion hop, but that's just my taste.

Funny, my first ever homebrew was an AG saison with very similar recipe. Mine was 10lbs pils, 2lbs wheat, azacca hopped, and 3711. I went with a 90 min boil based on the pilsner content

I activated the smack pack at the beginning of the mash and it was fully bloated by pitching. No starter, and it cleaned up from 1.058 down to 1.007 in a week. I was targeting 1.010, but I was also only pitching into 3.5 gal.

Ha. My first AG beer was a saison too. Turned out pretty great. I almost put honey malt in it. May try next time.

5lbs pilsner malt
2lbs pale malt
1.5lbs Vienna
1lb wheat

Styrian and Nelson hops. Dry hopped with Nelson. Wyeast Belgian 3724. Fermented around 82 degrees.

Back