My First 5 Gallon Brew Day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mindsculptor

Reaction score
After finally collecting everything I needed to brew last weekend I finally got down to the business of brewing. First, of course, I needed to organize my ingredients.

Specialty Grains:

Hops:

Sugars:

15 Minute Additions:

Ghetto Rigged Thermostat for accurate reading:

Steeping My Grains:

Adding Sugars:

Setting Up Hops For Ghetto Continuous Hopping:

5 Minutes Left:

And where I'm at as of today:

If you look closely for it, you can see the runnings of what appears to be the aftermath of Ron Jeremy having solo happy fun time in my closet. In actuality it was caused by a krausen explosion that woke me from a dead sleep, but funnily enough dislodged neither the lid nor the airlock. I had to go to Home Depot to get tubing that would fit over the main airlock piece and fed that into a sanitizer water filled carboy to act as my blow-off vessel. By the way, the condensation is an indicator that fermentation is still active.

Nicely done.
I just always go ahead and use a blowoff tube. No real reason not to unless you have a ton of head space. Hope your beer turns out well!

Might be to late now, but are you keeping the wort at the optimum temperature for the yeast being used?

House is kept at 75 and optimum for WLP530 is listed at 66-72, but it's a Belgian yeast so I'm not too worried about it.

Back