My first 10 gallon batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pickngrin

Reaction score
Saturday I brewed my first 10 gallon batch (an IPA). These days I brew indoors, using two heat sticks in a rubberized keg. Since I got a March pump in the summer, I've wanted to put that to use in brewing 10 gallon batches. I don't use an HLT, so I heated volumes of sparge water for batch sparging 3 separate times. Not a big deal, but I'd like to come up with a more convenient way without having to obtain (and store, and carry up from the basement each time I brew...) another large vessel. One strange thing I noticed, after pumping the wort into the first fermenter (a 5 gal corney), was small black floaters (didn't look like bugs, or like hop pellet particles). I couldn't get a really good look through the small corney opening. I wonder if perhaps they were small pieces of rubber from the opening of the keggle, though I doubt that. I didn't notice any in fermenter #2 (a Better Bottle). Worse case scenario, I should have 5 gallons of IPA, but I am thinking that the other fermenter will be fine.
Here are the two bubbling beauties....
15gz3wl.jpg

Nice! Now that I have seen that, I have realized that I own 2 six gallon fermenters (plastic), 2 six gallon primaries (glass), 2 five gallon secondaries (glass), and 8 five gallon secondaries (aluminum). Thanks for the pic. Happy Brewing:mug:

Great - so you can up it to 10 gals too. Great signature line, BTW - "Alcohol to Urine 35+ yrs."

What kind of aluminum fermenters do you have?

Back