My fg is a little high

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jasondeal

Reaction score
My beer has been in thw fermentor for 8 days. I'm using a brewers best imperial nut brown kit with safale s04 yeast. I stopped seeing bubbling in the airlock after 3 days. So I took a reading yesterday, day 7 which was 1.026 and today which was also 1.026. My intial gravity was 1.075 which was where my kit said it was going to be. But my final is supposed to be between .016 and .019. Can I do the olive gimmick I've read about or am I to assume that's all I'm gwtting out of it and move forward to bottling in a few days?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Home Brew mobile app

Do you have temp control? Try to swirl the carboy a bit to get the yeast back into suspension and if you can raise the temp a few degrees.

I have a DIPA fermenting right now, and it is now just down to 1.019 after 21 days. It was only at 1.032 7 days ago but then I raised the temp to around 72-73 and swirled the carboy (gently) and the yeast woke up.

I also believe I underpitched this batch a bit which would makes sense for the slow but constant fermentation. Did you make a yeast starter? What have been your ferm temps?

Airlock activity is not a guarantee of fermentation (or lack thereof). Give it a few more days. Since your OG is on the higher end of the spectrum, it might take a little longer than a lighter (gravity-wise) beer to ferment to completion.

Side note: what's the olive gimmick? I've never heard it mentioned here.

I'm sorry, olive oil. I thought I had read something about a very small amount being added to get the yeast rolling again. But I probably read it out of context.

Should I raise the temp at all. I've been at 68 on my dresser.. but my bathroom holds 72

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Home Brew mobile app
And I know the airlock is no guarantee. Its interesting that the instructions get you to lean on the airlock so heavily

Back