My ESB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beer35

Reaction score
I did this simple ESB a few months ago and it didnt exactly turn out like I intended, but good enough to share.

7 Lbs LME (pale)

1/2 lb 60 l Crystal

1/2 lb Carared

1/2 oz EKG 60 min

1/2 oz EKG 30 min

1 oz EKG at knockout

1 tsp irish moss @ 15 min

1/8 tsp yeast energizer

Windsor yeast

The Windsor took its time and in the end I was a bit dissapointed because there was virtually no fruity notes, it was more like a clean dry yeast, which isnt bad but I wanted it to have more of an english ale feel. A good liquid yeast would probably acomplish that better.

The final product was a truly red ale with a nice ballance between maltiness and hoppiness IMHO. The Hop bill is rather light for an ESB but the oz of goldings @ knockout stood out quite well. I will probably do this one again, but maybe Ill go with Coopers yeast next time.

beer35 said:
A good liquid yeast would probably acomplish that better.

The final product was a truly red ale with a nice ballance between maltiness and hoppiness IMHO. The Hop bill is rather light for an ESB but the oz of goldings @ knockout stood out quite well. I will probably do this one again, but maybe Ill go with Coopers yeast next time.
Wyeast 1098 is a very good yeast for ESB. I have also used WL 002 which works well and floculates really well.

Looks like a nice and easy/good recipe.

Check out my ESB Paloney Ale the first version is for hop heads with around 60IBU . Version 2 has a milder approach with the hops at 40 IBUs

Paloney Ale2
8-C Extra Special/Strong Bitter (English Pale Ale)

Size: 5.2 gal
Efficiency: 72%
Attenuation: 75.9%
Calories: 195.13 per 12 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.059 (1.048 - 1.060)
Terminal Gravity: 1.014 (1.010 - 1.016)
Color: 11.3 (6.00 - 18.00)
Alcohol: 5.84% (4.60% - 6.20%)
Bitterness: 43.42 (30.00 - 50.00)

Ingredients:
.5 lbs American Caramel 20°L
1 lbs Honey Malt
4.5 lbs Dry Light Extract
1 lbs Dry Amber Extract
1 lbs Honey
1 oz Sterling (7.50%) - added during boil, boiled 60 min
1 oz Crystal (4.25%) - added during boil, boiled 30 min
1 oz Sterling (7.50%) - added during boil, boiled 5 min
8.00 fl oz WYeast 1768 English Special Bitter
1 tbsp Corriander - added during boil, boiled 0 min
.5 tbsp Sage - added during boil, boiled 0 min

Schedule:

Notes:
(2/24/07)
OG: 1.076 NOTE-More honey and DME were eveyballed into the recipe. Ok I was a little tipsy but hey mo alcohol sounds good to me sir.

Results generated by BeerTools Pro 1.0.20

Blender said:
Wyeast 1098 is a very good yeast for ESB. I have also used WL 002 which works well and floculates really well.

The problem I have with the 002 is that it tends to mute the hops , unlike 001

Back