My custom beer caps.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisVZ

Reaction score
A couple months ago I bought a laser engraver and have been tinkering with it for a while. A few days ago, an idea struck me. Why not use my laser to vaporize the paint off a bottle cap to make them into custom labels. This is the result of my first batch of caps.
IMG_2200.jpg

I had to make these one at a time, and it took quite a while. I am currently prototyping a jig that will allow me to engrave 50 in one shot.

Thanks for the compliments guys. I have finished my jig and can now do 50 caps at a time. Only thing left is to figure out what to brew next.

I'll be at the front of that line!

Seriously though, if you think you'd ever be interested in taking some orders I'd be more than happy to send you a drawing/ideas/caps and payment!

Either way, that is bad ass and I'm super jealous...I already know your beer/wine tastes better because of it :(

How many watts does the laser need to be in order to do this??
I am not sure what wattage is required, but I am using a 40W CO2 laser, running at about 10mA. I don't see why a diode laser couldn't do this though. It just has to be able to vaporize the paint off the surface. It might take multiple passes though. I will be able to test this next week, as I am expecting delivery of a 2.5W diode machine on Monday.

Ebay special K40 laser? Ive been contemplating one. I currently have a 2.5 watt diode machine. It leaves a little to be desired.
Ya, Chinese K40. It works, but has it's own quirks. If you do get one, be prepared to swap out the bed that comes with it, its junk. Still tying to work out how to do an adjustable bed for it. After martket options run as much as the machine itself. And the mirrors/lens too.

Oh man, it can etch glass too?? Now I definitely need to get one. I imagine beer glasses are too tall to stand up in side, in order to add nucleation sites at the bottom of the glass?

Ya, Beer glasses are too tall. The lens is a 2" focal distance and clearance to the laser head is less than that. But it does a great job at etching Glass and mirrors. 8"x8" back lit mirror I made for my bar.
IMG_2099.JPG
IMG_2100.JPG

I too enjoy my laser! Those caps look great.

Since I keg, I’m working on making magnets with all the relevant beer words to stick up as a menu.
Not a bad Idea, a magnet plate over each tap with descriptions on bottle caps. I like it!

Really cool. Would you know if a much lower power laser would work for just etching? Something like this...
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FQNQPYP/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Looked at this type and they seem to have a slow print speed. I don’t know if it’s because it is a diode based laser or because it is only 1 watt. I should know by the end of the week, as my 2.5W diode laser arrived today. I will be playing with it once I assemble it and figure out the software.

Edit: here’s a decent video of one in use.

Looked at this type and they seem to have a slow print speed. I don’t know if it’s because it is a diode based laser or because it is only 1 watt. I should know by the end of the week, as my 2.5W diode laser arrived today. I will be playing with it once I assemble it and figure out the software.

Did you have a chance to play around with the diode laser yet? What software does it use?

Did you have a chance to play around with the diode laser yet? What software does it use?

Got it built and have played around with the Eleksmaker software that it comes with, but find it a bit lacking in features. Test engravings are a bit underwhelming too. Some gaps in the scan lines that did not get engraved at all. More experimenting and tuning to do yet.

I created another post about this, but thought those of you following this thread might like to see my latest creation...
IMG_2275.JPG
IMG_2276.JPG IMG_2277.JPG

One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them,
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Just thought people might want the translation:)

Tried to make the mirror in the above pic using it and the results weren’t great. Scan lines evident and a weird brown discoloration left behind.
FBEEEF1C-1ABB-4F27-8A95-FF1BB7BF69EE.jpg

Thanks. I enjoy creating things. That's why I home brew. I also 3d print, and do some wood working. Currently saving up for a CNC router. That toy isn't going to come cheap. $2000 will take a while to save up, but would really expand the number of things I can make.

Latest posts

Back