My Citrusy IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

golfgod04

Reaction score
So I am a partial mash brewer. Ive used the same grain bill on a few ipas now and I like how it comes out. This time I'm using different hops. Is 20 ounces too much?

Grains:
2lbs Golden Promise
1lb Munich Malt
1lb Flaked Oats
8 ounces Crystal 40L

Malt Extract:
6.6 lbs Briess Pale Ale Liquid Extract (add half at boil and add half last 20 minutes of boil)

Hops:
1 oz Warrior - 60 minutes
2 oz T'N'T - 15 minutes
2 oz Mandarina Bavaria - 15 minutes
1 oz Citra - 15 minutes
2 oz T'N'T - 5 minutes
2 oz Mandarina Bavaria - 5 minutes
1 oz Citra - 5 minutes
2 oz T'N'T - flameout/20 minutes steep
2 oz Mandarina Bavaria - flameout/20 minutes steep
1 oz Citra - flameout/20 minutes steep
Dry Hop 5 to 7 days
2 oz T'N'T
2 oz Mandarina Bavaria
1 oz Citra

Yeast
Wyeast American Ale II - 1272

Should I knock all those 2 ounces down to 1? Is it too much hops?

All those hops are going to soak up a lot of beer!
I think wee need m00ps to step in here and assure you that if there is room in the kettle, there is room for hops.
Me, being cheap, would cut all the 15/5 minute additions in half. That's still six ounces before flameout. And those hops are not cheap.

But do what pleases you. You're approaching the cost off good craft beer here. But if cost is of no concern and you just want hop juice, go for it.

ipa-66897.jpg

heres how it came out

Whoops, looks like I dropped the ball. Glad it turned out well

Nice blog btw, I wish I had the time and motivation to make something that professional looking. I admire the effort, I havent ever though about labels. I just waste all my spare time making more beer.

Lemme know if you want to swap anything

Nice blog btw, I wish I had the time and motivation to make something that professional looking. I admire the effort, I havent ever though about labels. I just waste all my spare time making more beer.

It's OK m00ps. It made beer!

I ended up using 18 ounces of hops instead. I must have done something wrong because it isn't as overpowering as I thought.

thanks! I kind of do a little graphic design/website work so I decided that I would spend my free time on it. its still a work in progress though

this is what the description states "A blend of hops from the Barth-Haas company. This blend exhibits citrus, sweet fruit and green fruit flavors in the kettle. When used to dry hop it will lean towards a red berry (pomegranate) and spice character."

it does give off a little berry and fruit taste. Ive used it twice nice and enjoy it.

Latest posts

Back