My Cider is Frozen!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nbstl68

Reaction score
While cold crashing my cider to help settle out any remining floaty stuff, I did not pay attention to the forecast and it hit like 15 deg last night and the cider in the carboy has partially frozen.

I have no idea what if any problems this may present.
Is this a problem or will it be ok after thawing and cleaning the airlock?

Frozen Cider.jpg

I did the exact same thing last year. It'll be fine. Let it thaw and replace the airlock with a clean one and carry on as usual.

Like mentioned, it will be fine once it is thawed.

You might want to get the airlock out ASAP, and replace it with fresh starsan or vodka, otherwise you may get the contents of the current airlock to suck back into the carboy. If there is already starsan/vodka in it then it would not be a terrible problem. I just like to limit the chances of nasty / unwanted material getting into the carboy due to my OCD....:cross:

While you can call it an ice cider, sadly that requires freeze concentrating the juice before fermentation, and if you want to be a stickler the fruit has to has been frozen naturally before pressing, and possibly even on the tree. Silly rules

It will be fine, if you plan to carbonate the yeasties will be okay.

They wont be entirely ok. Freezing the yeast, whether in primary or after washing a cake, can and will kill off a percentage of the yeast because of cell rupturing*. With proper precautions, you can prevent nearly all of the yeast loss, but it's illogical in primary.

*Severe frostbite basically.

Latest posts

Back