My Brew is Possesed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dirtymartini

Reaction score
I just brewed a "Devils Brew" Belgian from Austin HB and racked it onto the yeast cake from previous brew....I think I should have got a blow off tube today. Is there anything else I can do before it blows??

133994768-M-1.jpg

I made one of these - Brewiz uses the same thing (he gave me the idea) - .75 inch PVC - two 90 degree .75 PVC connectors - with a clear 2in long piece of hose that makes a perfect airlock between the carboy and the the PVC - cost about $3 - and you break it down and clean it in a minute - and it will withstand a healthy brew! :mug:

Good luck!

both-brews.jpg

You could always pull the bubbler off. There should be enough positive pressure in there that not much can get in for the first couple days.

Of course, I wouldn't follow my own advice. I got a blow off tube instead.
apirate.gif

dirtymartini said:
Here's my temporary fix...This is my most active fermentation yet.:rockin:

134017220-M-1.jpg

Sweet!

I did my first brew with the same setup your running now - it works just fine!

Active fermentation rules! :rockin:

Wait, if the airlock is still in there, isn't the problem that it can still get clogged with hops and blow the top off anyway? That's what happened to me once.

Hops-4-Life said:
I made one of these - Brewiz uses the same thing (he gave me the idea) - .75 inch PVC - two 90 degree .75 PVC connectors - with a clear 2in long piece of hose that makes a perfect airlock between the carboy and the the PVC - cost about $3 - and you break it down and clean it in a minute - and it will withstand a healthy brew! :mug:

Good luck!

both-brews.jpg
This seems like an idea I'm going to steal;).

Dan

dirtymartini said:
Here's my temporary fix...This is my most active fermentation yet.:rockin:

134017220-M-1.jpg

If you go to lowes or home depot, they have spools of clear vinyl tubing that you can cut-to-length. The second-largest size is, I think, 1.25" OD, and it fits snugly inside the carboy opening. Get a 4-foot length of that, and you have a blowoff tube. I've got two of them, even though I've never actually had a blowoff.

Better safe than sorry.
Ninja.gif

butler1850 said:
dirtymartini - are you really brewing over a RUG? you must not have a SWMBO. :D

He brews beer AND is a pilot (see the mag?). There is no female on this planet that would tolerate both of those time- and money-consuming hobbies at once.
Hammer.gif

Evan! said:
He brews beer AND is a pilot (see the mag?). There is no female on this planet that would tolerate both of those time- and money-consuming hobbies at once.
Hammer.gif

Maybe that's why she isn't talking to me right now:ban:

I did see the magazine. And I'm jealous of it.

Though, if I get too much $$$, I know that SWMBO will allow me to fly as well... but NEVER brew over the carpet! :D

Back