my brew is flat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Will95gt

Reaction score
Ok, so for my first brew I decided to go with a wheat beer kit and followed the instructions that came with it. (Instructions - PDF format)

I have a single stage fermentation setup and I let the wort ferment for exactly three weeks rather than two like the instructions say. I'm not sure what made me think it was supposed to be three, I guess I just got it switched around in my head.

Anyways, I bottled it two days ago and put all the bottles in a box and in my closet (which is a cool dark place).

I was going to wait three weeks before drinking them but last night I couldn't help but try one and it was pretty flat. It didn't really pour like a beer should and my girlfriend even went as far as saying it tasted a little yeasty.

So, I have two questions:

1. Will the carbonation increase as the beer might ferment more for the few weeks its in the bottles?

2. Am I doomed to having forty bottles of flat beer because I let it ferment for a week longer than I was supposed to?

Thanks guys

-Will

Beer will be GREEN and FLAT after 2 days. Just because it is carbonated doesn't mean it is ready either........was this a Mr beer kit? I only ask because if you are too impatient you will drink them all before their time. BE PATIENT lol
seriously, be patient.

no no, This was a kit from Midwest supplies (which you guys recommended to me).

Phew... So your telling me that as long as I let all the other beer sit in their bottles for the next two and a half weeks it should come out fine?

Will95gt said:
no no, This was a kit from Midwest supplies (which you guys recommended to me).

Phew... So your telling me that as long as I let all the other beer sit in their bottles for the next two and a half weeks it should come out fine?

Short answer: yes.

It tastes yeasty because it's full of yeast in suspension that is busy having a little carbonation party. Give those beasties a few weeks to finish the party, pass out, and fall to the bottom. Then, give the your bottles a couple days' rest in the fridge before popping the next top.

Yes, it's hard. It's real hard. However, this is another part where patience pays off. Brew another batch to take your mind off this one. At least, throw a blanket or something over the bottles so that they don't tempt you so much. :)

By the way, you probably did yourself a favor by letting that beer go three weeks before bottling. I don't think I've ever bottled something only two weeks after brewing.

TL

2 weeks minimum to let the yeast do some work..than another week minimum in a cool place to let the co2 reabsorb into the beer.

The yeast flavor is also as to be expected..again 3 weeks minimum after bottle..The best thing to do is put away and try to forget u even made it by making another batch. When I first started brewing I used to drink half the beer in the first month or so and wasted the best flavors to come...Wit's do age quick so it will tase good at 3 to 4 weeks but even better at 12 weeks,.

Jay

Awesome! I feel much better, plus now I'll have myself a nice present around christmas... : -)

Thanks guys,

-Will

Will95gt said:
Awesome! I feel much better, plus now I'll have myself a nice present around christmas... : -)

Yes, your Christmas will be very merry! :eek:

Now go start another batch!

Don't worry. We all had the exact same question our first batch out.

I had an English Bitter sitting for 2.5 weeks at 65 degrees and...nothin...

I moved the bottles to a 72+ environment and within the next 4-5 days...perfect.

~ 21 days minimum
~ 70 + degrees
~ give the bottles a gentle rocking to agitate the yeast every couple of days

It's a fool proof combination.

Back