My Bottles & Still

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JasperBrewery

Reaction score
image023r.jpg

Some crates of bottles that i got from Germany unfortunately most of them are empty, but not for long!

image024b.jpg

A batch of Bitter.

image025o.jpg

Crates agian.

image026p.jpg

My Still :tank:

Oh yeah. We sell em at work... I think that one has a 10 litre capacity, and the booze it spits out is ~50%. Gotta run it through carbon to completely neutralize the flavours and aromas though.

Funny how it's such a "horrible" illegal thing over here, but on your side of the pond, they sell cute little countertop versions!

"Welcome to America, Land of the Free....You can't do that, Nope that either. Oh and wear this if you're going to try that."

Funny how it's such a "horrible" illegal thing over here, but on your side of the pond, they sell cute little countertop versions!

"Welcome to America, Land of the Free....You can't do that, Nope that either. Oh and wear this if you're going to try that."

At least we have the right to possess and use firearms, to varying degrees based on state/country... I'd much rather have that than be allowed to make my own hard liquor.

You can buy those little countertop stills in the states for home water distillation... Some homebrew stores do have them, some health stores and you can order them online... The only thing is it is "a possibility" that ATF come knockin on your door to check out what you are doing with it....

Though i'm pretty sure they care more about the people who are making gallons of moonshine and not the guy making a liter at a time...

(this post does not condone the illegal production of hard alcohol)

At least we have the right to possess and use firearms, to varying degrees based on state/country... I'd much rather have that than be allowed to make my own hard liquor.

I don't know, if we could make our own liquor there might not be anymore need for firearms.

Yeah, they're sold at the shop for water purification or essential oil extraction. But it's positioned right next to the book "How to make moonshine" and the liqueur essences...

You can buy those little countertop stills in the states for home water distillation... Some homebrew stores do have them, some health stores and you can order them online... The only thing is it is "a possibility" that ATF come knockin on your door to check out what you are doing with it....

Though i'm pretty sure they care more about the people who are making gallons of moonshine and not the guy making a liter at a time...

(this post does not condone the illegal production of hard alcohol)

my homebrew shop sells them too. It's illegal to have a still which spits out pure ethanol, but the counter top ones are fine. Anyone in America can legally have those.

Um. . . I think that might not be true. The production of alcohol is governed by statute on a state by state basis. I was doing some research for an unrelated project, and in most states it's illegal to manufacture ANYTHING more than 20% ABV without a permit - the exact percentage differs by state. In Alabama, you can't even get a permit to SELL beer that's more than 6% ABV, and home-brewing beer is illegal. What's more, Alaska and Virginia have both started seriously cracking down on moonshiners.

Alaska and Virginia have both started seriously cracking down on moonshiners.

Yeah, when they say Moonshiners, most of the time they mean the guys who are making copious amounts of it with intent to distribute... Not the guy sitting at home with the countertop distiller making a bottle of apple jack....

Chances are if you are making very small amounts of hard alcohol for personal consumption and not bragging about it in front of police stations you will not get caught... At least, I hope our government has better things to spend it's money on...

Once again, I am not condoning the illegal production of hard alcohol, just being logical...

Chances are if you are making very small amounts of hard alcohol for personal consumption and not bragging about it in front of police stations you will not get caught... At least, I hope our government has better things to spend it's money on...

This. It's a function of volume and visibility.

Um. . . I think that might not be true. The production of alcohol is governed by statute on a state by state basis. I was doing some research for an unrelated project, and in most states it's illegal to manufacture ANYTHING more than 20% ABV without a permit - the exact percentage differs by state. In Alabama, you can't even get a permit to SELL beer that's more than 6% ABV, and home-brewing beer is illegal. What's more, Alaska and Virginia have both started seriously cracking down on moonshiners.

alabama just passed law for up to i believe 13.5%

Jasper it really is not wise to admit breaking the law on a public forum. Please do not do it on this forum.
Owning a still is legal, using it to distil alcohol is not.

HBT does not condone breaking the law in any country.
Allowing a crime to be committed and not reported is called aiding and abetting and is also against the law.

Home brew talk is also a Forum based on legal home brewing. There are other internet forums for the discussion of distilling alcohol.

Orfy when does US law trump an international forum? Just because the backward thinking US doesn't allow it doesn't mean the rest of the world should suffer.. ;)

If we follow you're logic than we shouldn't be discussing brewing at all.. Pretty sure the middle east has a law banning it..

I assume that he's familiar with the laws in the UK and was referring to such. I'm guessing maybe it's not legal to be distilling your own liquor in England, either.

Home distillation of alcohol is illegal in every country in the world save NZ, I believe.

Is not....It is legal to distill at home in the US if you purchase the proper permits... Just like most other countries that allow alcoholic beverages.. How does one know if said member isn't distilling legally?? :D

It's illegal to drive in every country too , unless you have a licence.. :off:

The poster is in the UK and It's illegal to distil without a licence in the UK.
The OP has pretty much admitted breaking the law.

You can not get a licence in the UK for home distilling even for personal use.
The customs and excise see to that. It's way more restricted than brewing.

Alcoholic Liquor Duties Act 1979, s12(1):

No person shall manufacture spirits, whether by distillation of
a fermented liquor or by any other process, unless he holds an
excise licence for that purpose under this section

ALDA s1(2):

"spirits" means [...]-
(a) spirits of any description which are of a strength exceeding
1.2 per cent;
(b) any such mixture, compound or preparation made with spirits
as is of a strength exceeding 1.2 per cent; or
(c) liquors contained, with any spirits, in any mixture which is
of a strength exceeding 1.2 per cent, but does not include
methylated spirits

It is legal to distill at home in the US if you purchase the proper permits
The cost of which are prohibitive for the hobbyist depending on state, so the logic is flawed.

I'm not trying to make this into an argument, but if you'd like to defend your position with citations, I'd be interested to hear it.

While many HB shops sell personal stills and thinly disguise their intended use, it's really no different from a head shop selling bongs and bowls as 'tobacco pipes'. They're not kidding anyone.

Because you think it's expensive then my logic is flawed?? LMAO Ok you're right, being too poor to afford something means it's wrong.. Must be a democrat..:D

Because you think it's expensive then my logic is flawed?? LMAO Ok you're right, being too poor to afford something means it's wrong.. Must be a democrat..:D

And thank you for the utterly meaningless post. If you'd like to actually engage in a serious discussion, I'll still waiting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back