My Bottle Capper Broke! How Screwed Am I?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwistedHalo

Reaction score
So, when I started my bottling process earlier this evening it had been 20 days since the my wort started fermenting. The Gravity had been staying at a constant of 1.013 for the last five days, so I decided it was time. I did all of my proper sanitation, made my priming solution, added it to my bottling bucket, and then siphoned the wort from my primary into my bottling bucket. I set the lid from the primary on top of the bottling bucket, without sealing it, and let it set for about 40 minutes to settle while I got everything in place. I then filled 4 bottles, capped 2 of them, and then on the 3rd, SNAP!, the damn bottle capper broke, its completely unusable.
I quickly sealed the bottling bucket with the lid from the primary. I did have to stick my arm into the wort (with a sanitized, elbow length brewers glove) to tighten the nut for the spigot because it loosened when I turned the spigot into a position that would let it sit on the floor without touching. I won't be able to get a new capper until at least noon EST tomorrow when my local brew store opens. Is it a problem that I added the priming sugars and they are sitting in the wort without being bottled? Does anyone see any other problems that might arise from what I described above?
Man am I going to pissed if all I get from this first batch is 2 beers. arg!! lol

Thanks for any help guys!

Leave it alone for a week. Reprime then and carry on as usual. I would pour the sanitized priming solution directly on top of the brew and give it a few stirs. Make sure to minimize splashing - just get it swirling without bubbles or anything like that.

Grab a bunch of soda bottles. Use the 33 ounce size. This way ya can tell the little lady you only had a couple brews!

Can you salvage the capping bell from the broken capper? If so, you could place it on top of the bottle and smack it with a hammer to apply the cap. Google "Hammer Capper" to see what I mean. Not the most elegant capping process, and may require a deft touch, but it apparently works.

Can you salvage the capping bell from the broken capper? If so, you could place it on top of the bottle and smack it with a hammer to apply the cap. Google "Hammer Capper" to see what I mean. Not the most elegant capping process, and may require a deft touch, but it apparently works.

I don't know, but it's worth a shot. I'll look into it. Thanks!

Which capper did you have?

I always worry about my Red Baron capper breaking on me or (worse) the neck of the bottle shattering. Maybe a bench capper as a replacement?

That sounds brilliant, and probably woudn't be too hard (if more labor-intensive than using a capper). I'd probably wrap a clean and sanitized dishcloth around the bell and neck before hitting, and go for several taps rather than a single bang, but as long as you can apply enough pressure to the bell to crimp the cap tightly, the bottle will be capped.

Considering how cheaply-made my Chinese bench capper is, I could be forced to use this method at any time myself. Glad I saw this post here.

Try a rubber mallet if you have one. Goggles not a bad idea either. Agree that a couple of littler taps are better. Good luck.

Considering how cheaply-made my Chinese bench capper is, I could be forced to use this method at any time myself. Glad I saw this post here.

Exactly. Cheers to all the homebrew MacGuyver's who are calm in the face of a beer crisis. :mug:

I had the same thing happen to me about five weeks ago except I filled all of my bottles and on the first bottle I broke my capper! Talk about freaking out. It was 1:00am and we were having a snow storm so there was no getting hold of another capper until about 4:00pm. So the only choice I had was to set a sanitized cap on each bottle and cover each one in aluminum foil until I could get them capped. Considering this was my first ever brew I was pretty upset. Needless to say they didn't get capped for about fifteen hours after they were bottled. I thought for sure the priming sugar would ferment out but to my surprise a little over 2 weeks in the bottle I tried one and it was carbonated, and actually was pretty good. I now have 2 cappers so hopefully I won't have that problem again. Cheers.....:)

I agree with letting the priming sugar ferment out. Reprime and bottle as normal. I bought a bench capper and haven't looked back since, I still have my red wing capper as an insurance policy but I doubt I'll ever have to cash it in but it's good for peace of mind.

02/14 thread about broken capper. Capper purchased from Northern Brewer. NB said defective Red Baron cappers produced and sold. Replaced capper and lost brew.
Thread starter, jrsdws

That sounds brilliant, and probably woudn't be too hard (if more labor-intensive than using a capper). I'd probably wrap a clean and sanitized dishcloth around the bell and neck before hitting, and go for several taps rather than a single bang, but as long as you can apply enough pressure to the bell to crimp the cap tightly, the bottle will be capped.

I've gotta give credit to Leon Kania for this one, the author of the first brewing/alcohol-production book I ever owned, The Alaskan Bootlegger's Bible. My brother and I bought this book when we were teenagers to inform our moonshine-making aspirations. It's a witty, informative and creative book written by a guy who lives up in Alaska and produces wine. beer & liquor with readily-available items. One of his projects is the "Pore Boy Rapper Capper" (see below) which is a wooden-mallet-powered capper made out of wood blocks and some copper pipe fittings. The OP's predicament brought this device to mind!

I highly recommend The Alaskan Bootlegger's Bible if you're looking for an entertaining read (or if you want instructions on building a still out of soldering iron, among other "resourceful" projects).

capper.jpg

I decided not to try the hammer method, it was late and going to be loud, and potentially dangerous. I got a couple of suggestions on other forums to just go ahead and finish my bottling as long as I could do it within 24 hours, the guys at my local brew shop concurred with that idea when I went in to get my new capper today. So, when I got home I finished the job. The wort was sitting in the bottling bucket with an airlocked lid on it for a max of 18 hours. I guess we'll see how the beer turns out when I open one in about 3-4 weeks. I'll let you guys know how it turns out. Thanks for the help fellas!

Which capper did you have?

I always worry about my Red Baron capper breaking on me or (worse) the neck of the bottle shattering. Maybe a bench capper as a replacement?

Had a Red Baron shatter a bottle on my 2nd bottling day. My buddy was capping for me and when he went to cap a 12 oz former Harpoon bottle it shattered the neck off. Luckily no one was hurt and we were able to just throw out the bottle. I avoid Harpoon bottles now, just in case, though it was likely user error or just a weak bottle.

Best of luck to the OP. :mug:

I decided not to try the hammer method, it was late and going to be loud, and potentially dangerous. I got a couple of suggestions on other forums to just go ahead and finish my bottling as long as I could do it within 24 hours, the guys at my local brew shop concurred with that idea when I went in to get my new capper today. So, when I got home I finished the job. The wort was sitting in the bottling bucket with an airlocked lid on it for a max of 18 hours. I guess we'll see how the beer turns out when I open one in about 3-4 weeks. I'll let you guys know how it turns out. Thanks for the help fellas!

I bet it will be fine. It takes a week+ to carb so it stands to reason you lost very little of the carbing potential in less than 24 hours. And if you practiced your usual sanitation rituals for bottling, putting a sanitized lid back on for a day should generate no extra risk. Here's to a successful brew:mug:

Had a Red Baron shatter a bottle on my 2nd bottling day. My buddy was capping for me and when he went to cap a 12 oz former Harpoon bottle it shattered the neck off. Luckily no one was hurt and we were able to just throw out the bottle. I avoid Harpoon bottles now, just in case, though it was likely user error or just a weak bottle.

Best of luck to the OP. :mug:

Ive broken a few Sierra Nevada bottles a Sam Adams bottle or two and oneNew Belgian. I loosened the bell a quarter turn and havent broken any in about three batches.

Back