My beer smells like yogurt. =/

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
More info. Is it in the fermenter, is it done, is it bottled, how does it taste, what kind of beer is it, ect..

I don't smell my beers much, but I have had some that were stinky or nasty tasting while fermenting but great when finished. Don't give up yet.

I also have used some yeasts that smelled really bad... The beer was great!!!!

Sorry, just saw your second paragraph. 48 hours in primary, fermentation is just ramping up. Different yeasts produce many different types of smells, some of which aren't very pleasant, but produce great beers. Make sure your temps are in the proper range and let it go.

I use Wyeast 3767 which smells like rotten eggs while fermenting, but always makes great beer.

What you're describing does sound like a lacto infection but it's not definite.

I've opened a few Wyeast packs that smelled like absolute ass...and the wine, mead, and beer resulting from them have never been bad.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Thanks for the feedback, y'all. I was scoping the "did I ruin it?" compilation, and the recurring theme appears to be, "chill. It's probably fine." I'll keep my eye on it and let you know what's going on at bottling.

Be sure to taste it before bottling. Otherwise you could be bottling infected beer and have to throw it all away anyway. I agree with everyone else though; relax and wait to see what happens.

Be sure to taste it before bottling. Otherwise you could be bottling infected beer and have to throw it all away anyway. I agree with everyone else though; relax and wait to see what happens.

If anything you can just say it's a hazelnut Flanders red and act like it's rare and expensive :ban:

I bottled my beer last night, and it didn't taste like yogurt! It was actually really good. Had a Dragon's Milk to celebrate. Huzzah!

Thanks all for your advice/support.

Back