My beer has a cider taste....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NoH20

Reaction score
Maybe it's all in my head, but -

I'm attempting to get my new system dialed in. First attempt was on a new recipe. Had a couple expected hiccups, and the beer was ok. Hard to say if the recipe just wasn't great, or if it was the process. So, went back to a known recipe, which is a cream ale. Prior to brewing, I had made a cider in the fermenter (apple juice, sugar and champagne yeast), and put it in a corney key and hooked up the tap. Cider sat for quite some time (not my thing I guess). I dumped it out, cleaned everything, etc.

So, I have several kegs, so not sure if the finished beer went in the same one as the cider. Fermenter was cleaned good. Beer line/tap is the same, but it was flushed, cleaned.

I just feel like the cream ale has a bit of that cider dry/sweet (I realize those are opposite, just not sure how to describe) taste to it. The cream ale is very light, not much hops to begin with, so maybe it's just my mind messing with me. I tasted from the fermenter a couple times when checking gravity, and it seemed like it was going to end up as usual.

Anyway, is cider harder to get "rid of" than a previous beer?

Todd

It could be caused by a number of things. I'm curious to know which style of brew went into the fermenter and keg after the cider. Also, which yeast was used for that beer and what were your fermentation temps?

It was a Cream Ale - 2 row, flaked corn and rice. It was in the fermenter (stainless) for 2 weeks, started at 65 degrees and bumped it up to about 68 the last several days. Yeast was US-05.

Back