My Basement Bar Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks...it has been a long time in the making. I painted the bar this weekend. My wife and I plan on grouting Tuesday and then drop ceiling over the next few weeks. I have been working on this for waaaaaay too long. Finishing 1800+ sq. ft. of the basement was more than I bargained for, but it's worth it. I just need to get this knocked out, because I have 3 kegs and the materials to start my all grain brewing rig and another 400 sq. ft. of the basement to finish into a brewing room. My wife wants me out of the kitchen on brewing days. Where in Rochester are you from?

I'm at Walton and Adams pretty much....right by OU and the mall there.....

Thanks...post some pictures of your bar set up and the rest of your basement for that matter. I'm still in the finishing process of the basement and could use as many ideas as possible. I found and purchased the redwood bar and counter tops a year before I even started the basement build. The rest of the entire basement design has revolved around the bar top, which is the feature piece. Honestly, my basement looks much more high end than it really is. I am a craigslist junkie and have gotten the majority of the materials from struggling builders in SE Michigan. I paid $0.50 a sq.ft. for all of the slate in the bar, pantry, and cold storage beer/wine cellar. I paid $0.80 per sq.ft. for all of the travertine in the bathroom. I paid $0.30 per lineal ft. for all of the T&G knotty pine used on the walls. All of the cedar used for accent pieces, trim pieces, the bathroom vanity, the fireplace mantle, etc. was free from my dads property. The bar sink and faucet were $30 for both and the faucet was still new in the box. Hell, I got the travertine stone vessel sink in the bathroom for $68 on ebay, which is typically a $300 sink. I have paid a fraction of retail for nearly everything down there, so in the grand scheme of things, what I paid for the bartop was worth it. Yes, it has taken me 2.5 years to get to this point, but the money that I have saved by being patient is astronomical. Send some pics.
:mug:

QUOTE=Bush_84;2541986]That is how I want my bar to look, but I don't need the fancy/expensive top. My basement is done in knotty pine and I already have the wet bar against the wall. Now I just need the one away from the wall for people to pull up and drink! Either way it looks great![/QUOTE]

The bar looks fantastic! This is the motivation that I need to finish the rest of my basement! Can't wait to see updated pictures!

Wow that is truly amazing, even if you didn't do all that work yourself it would still be somthing to be proud of. It looks like a luxury resort. Truly amazing I am very jealous.

Well, it's my favorite style! That whole log theme is badass! I will definitely emulate it because it actually has something called style.

This rustic look is classy and authentic... as opposed to this modern crap which is all grey/black and lacking of any artistic thought, imagination, and color.

To each his own. The rustic look isn't for everyone.....just ask my wife. LOL...She's not a big fan, but the rest of the house is too formal for me. She gave me free reign to do what I wanted with the basement, so this is what I went with. Growing up in rural lower michigan, I sort of developed a liking for rustic decor, but I totally understand dude. Thanks for the compliment on craftmanship.

Not my favorite style, but there's no denying the craftsmanship. Nice work.

_

I love that the bar is done yet no ceiling....your priorities are certainly correct sir...nice work

Yeah, the bar and cabinets were installed before any doors were hung and before most of the drywall was up in the rest of the basement. The bar was my first priority.....the bathroom a close second. Grouting the bar floor this week and hopefully the drop ceiling sometime soon. Working 60+ hrs. per week and running two businesses, so my spare time has been scarce. Thanks for the compliment. :mug:

I love that the bar is done yet no ceiling....your priorities are certainly correct sir...nice work

Great job! I look forward to more photos. We moved into our new house back in 2006 and finished the basement without a bar. My wife suggested we add one, but I did not want it because our daughters were about to become teenagers and I was remembering what I did when I was a teenager;) We built a pretty high-end movie theater which gets lots of use but I'm now planning a bar:)

WOW!! that is AWESOME! Now that I'm divorced I want my WHOLE house to look like THAT!!! Great job!!! Would love to come home and drink a few beers in a man cave like that! a few stuffed trophy fish on the wall, a few trophy birds, and a fly tying station... custom fishing rod making bench.... DAMN good thing I'm SINGLE again! If I had that family would NEVER see me!

Thanks. My kids are still young (8 and 6 y/o), but I have already thought about their teenage years. In an adjacent room off of the bar, I build an insulated wine and beer cold storage cellar. It draws the coolness out of the earth through the poured walls and slab floor. It's the only area of the basement where I didn't put the radiant floor heating in, so it's designed and insulated to keep the cool temp. in and the heated basement temp. out. Anyways, I used an insulated exterior door, equipped with a standard door lock and a locking deadbolt. Once my beer is bottle conditioned for 3 weeks, it goes in there for storage, along with any other wine or liquor that is in the house. My wife and I are not liquor drinkers at all, but we always have it on hand for when we have company over.

Not pictured, I have an 8ft long, cedar log slab liquor shelf that goes on the back wall behind the bar where the travertine tile is. My thought for the future would be to only bring out and display the liquor on the shelf when we are entertaining and when the party is over, the liquor goes back in the cellar under lock and key. My grandpa collected antique liquor decanters, which he gave to me, so I will put them on the liquor shelf for decorating purposes most of the time. Yes, I know exactly what you are saying, because I wasn't exactly a pefect angel either when I was a teenage. This is the main reason for why I built the cellar with double locks! :p

Great job! I look forward to more photos. We moved into our new house back in 2006 and finished the basement without a bar. My wife suggested we add one, but I did not want it because our daughters were about to become teenagers and I was remembering what I did when I was a teenager;) We built a pretty high-end movie theater which gets lots of use but I'm now planning a bar:)

Thanks Starrfish....good to hear from you again! I'm with you, I wish my whole house was in a cabin/lodge type decor, but it's not my wife's favorite style. As it has come together, I think she is starting to like it more and more. I have unlimited access to red cedar logs from my dads property, so I have built log lamps, a log pub table, and plan on making a huge log slab sign for the bar....once I come up with a name for my brewery and bar. I tried to talk her into letting me build all log furniture, but she's against it. She's fine with the rustic decor at this point and the cabinets have grown on her, but she HATES log furniture. I have to choose my battles! ;)

I am more of a hunter than a fisherman. I have several whitetail skull mounts, rack plaques, etc. I had a box of antlers from deer that I have gotten over the years, so I cut many of the smaller, scrubby racks apart and made a cedar log + antler towel rack for the hot tub, antler wall sconces, an antler wine rack, etc. My grandpa used to carve fish out of cypress driftwood, so I also have several of his fish sculptures. All in all, as soon as the paint, drop ceiling, and carpeting goes in, I have everything to decorate the space. Can't wait until it's done, because I want to start the brewing room on the unfinished side of the basement and my all grain rig. I'll keep you posted. :tank:

WOW!! that is AWESOME! Now that I'm divorced I want my WHOLE house to look like THAT!!! Great job!!! Would love to come home and drink a few beers in a man cave like that! a few stuffed trophy fish on the wall, a few trophy birds, and a fly tying station... custom fishing rod making bench.... DAMN good thing I'm SINGLE again! If I had that family would NEVER see me!

I am more of a hunter than a fisherman. I have several whitetail skull mounts, rack plaques, etc. I had a box of antlers from deer that I have gotten over the years, so I cut many of the smaller, scrubby racks apart and made a cedar log + antler towel rack for the hot tub, antler wall sconces, an antler wine rack, etc.

make a tap handle.

That looks great. Can't wait to see the finished product. I love the lodge style.

You guys worrying about teenagers.. They make these things called 'LOCKS'.. LOL

Just incorporate anti-teenager methodology into your plans from the get go....

BTW, your basement build is gorgeous.. first class job!

For you guys that like that bar top but don't like the coin they cost.. Go find yourself a buddy with a portable mill... Then find yourself a log, and bring it and a couple cases of home brew to your new buddy... After he cuts the planks, you can do the rest... Heck, your new buddy might even provide the log...

Growing up in rural lower michigan on 40 acres, I sort of developed a liking for rustic decor, but I totally understand dude. Thanks for the compliment on craftmanship.

Ha, I grew up in Almont/Imlay City Mi, so I know all about rustic. Maybe that's why I went the opposite direction. :) I do like the floor tiles, very nice.

Very nice job I hope my basement comes out half as nice as that. I say half because I'll only end up with 7 foot celings when I'm done. I should post up the pics.

Great advice on the bar top. I actually have a buddy with a Woodmeiser portable mill. He cut the cedar log trim pieces and the cedar mantle. The problem with the bar top is that with it's size and thickness, it can take several years for the moisture content of the slab to drop low enough for finishing. If you have a couple of years to wait, then it is definately the most cost effective way to go. :)

You guys worrying about teenagers.. They make these things called 'LOCKS'.. LOL

Just incorporate anti-teenager methodology into your plans from the get go....

BTW, your basement build is gorgeous.. first class job!

For you guys that like that bar top but don't like the coin they cost.. Go find yourself a buddy with a portable mill... Then find yourself a log, and bring it and a couple cases of home brew to your new buddy... After he cuts the planks, you can do the rest... Heck, your new buddy might even provide the log...

OK...Paint in the bar area is complete. I wish it was done in the rest of the basement. :( Attached are a couple of pictures of the bar area with paint, my cedar liquor shelf, a few of my log projects, and my homemade mantle.

IMG_1927.jpg

IMG_1929.jpg

IMG_1931.jpg

IMG_1932.jpg

IMG_1933.jpg

Thanks for the compliment. :mug: I just finished painting the bathroom as well. I'll post some pictures of the rest of the basement once complete. I think I'm painting the family room, bedroom, and exercise room over the weekend. Too much to do....too little time. :(

This is one of the best builds I have seen on here; cant wait to see this one finished.:rockin:

Yep, Nuttin better than wood...... Especially thick natural edged slab stuff,varnish that stuff it looks a mile thick..... Kudo's on the build ! I have a house built in 1925 with a handlaid stone foundation-fat freekin chance of doin somethin like that in my hs. Great job though !

Definitely love it. Can't wait for the final product, hopefully w/ taps and some entertainment.

Very nice build! I have an entire basement just waiting to be finished, but not as large as yours. Mine is about 1200 square feet and was one of the main reasons we bought this home this past summer. This makes me want to get off my butt and get going on it.

Thanks! I started this process before I started brewing, so I still have to work on a kegging/tap system. Most likely I'll constuct a keezer and come up with a way to box it in, dress it with logs, and put a redwood slab on top with tap handles. I'll put it where the fridge is now, slide the fridge over and Maybe order some more log/panel cabinetry uppers to dress it out. I'll figure something out! For entertainment, there will be a full size slot machine (so my buddies/neighbors can help pay for the build), a log pool table, a 50" LED in the adjacent room, and a 32" LED at the end of the bar. Still hammering out the details. :mug:

Definitely love it. Can't wait for the final product, hopefully w/ taps and some entertainment.

Get busy Big Red! My biggest piece of advice is do it yourself and take your time. There are plenty of great deals out there on CL for construction materials. There is way more satisfaction doing it yourself and making it unique and one of a kind. I have had a blast working on it so far, but now am approaching burn out and can't wait until the day I can belly up to the bar, have a beer, and relax without having a basement punch list a mile long. Get the project started and make a thread to show us your progress. Good luck! :mug:

Very nice build! I have an entire basement just waiting to be finished, but not as large as yours. Mine is about 1200 square feet and was one of the main reasons we bought this home this past summer. This makes me want to get off my butt and get going on it.

Beautiful bar top. From the second picture I thought you had trimmed it and squared it up! That would have been a tragedy

I thought the exact same thing until I scrolled down and saw the 2 pieces side by side. I thought what a shame. BTW that bar top is beautiful!

This is an awesome project! But let's see the more on where the taps and beer is going to go! ;)

I shall do my best. The recessed area, where the fridge is sitting will most likely be the spot where I will put a converted fridge with tap handles or a keezer. As I mentioned in prior posts, I started this project before I started brewing, so I have to tweak the design to accommodate tap handles. I am already sick of bottling. I noticed you are an RT, I'm a PT. Thanks for the compliment and I'll keep you guys updated on how I'm going to proceed. BTW: I have a cooled wine/beer storage room to store all of my bottled beer. :rockin:

I thought the exact same thing until I scrolled down and saw the 2 pieces side by side. I thought what a shame. BTW that bar top is beautiful!

This is an awesome project! But let's see the more on where the taps and beer is going to go! ;)

Get busy Big Red! My biggest piece of advice is do it yourself and take your time. There are plenty of great deals out there on CL for construction materials. There is way more satisfaction doing it yourself and making it unique and one of a kind. I have had a blast working on it so far, but now am approaching burn out and can't wait until the day I can belly up to the bar, have a beer, and relax without having a basement punch list a mile long. Get the project started and make a thread to show us your progress. Good luck! :mug:

I'm ready to start, don't know much about construction, but I can pretty much figure anything out if I have enough time to plan it out and look at things. My cousin owns a commercial construction business so I'm just waiting on him to come over to help with the measurements to go and get the lumber, next would be the electrical and plumbing, followed by the insulation and sheetrock. Then the finishing touches.................sounds easy enough right?! :D He can hook me up with some of his vendors for "cheaper" prices.........or so he says.

Good luck! I started this basement almost 2 1/2 years ago and did it all myself. Thankfully the drains were already in for the bar and bathroom, so running the copper was no big deal for me. My father in law is an electrician, so he looked over my shoulder during the electrical rough, again no big deal. The biggest ***** of the project was hanging drywall by myself. It took 95 sheets to do the entire basement (8's and 12's) and it got really old. The only thing that I hired out was mudding/taping the drywall. After that it was on to the stuff that I really enjoy...the finish! With all of the log work, knotty pine on the walls, custom mantle, etc. the finish has taken the longest! Now I'm at the part I hate....painting! :mad: I should be completed with the entire basement (drop ceiling and carpet) in another month or two and then I will start the brewing room, keezer build, and all grain brewing rig (all projects waiting to get going on). Make a thread of your process, I would love to track your progress with your basement. :mug:

I'm ready to start, don't know much about construction, but I can pretty much figure anything out if I have enough time to plan it out and look at things. My cousin owns a commercial construction business so I'm just waiting on him to come over to help with the measurements to go and get the lumber, next would be the electrical and plumbing, followed by the insulation and sheetrock. Then the finishing touches.................sounds easy enough right?! :D He can hook me up with some of his vendors for "cheaper" prices.........or so he says.

Will do, just found out my neighbors basement is leaking and we both have brand new homes. I'm gonna wait a while to get going really hot and heavy and make sure the settling is pretty much done in my house. Not too worried since the drainage is very good around my house due to landscaping that was done around it and the way the land was shaped. I'll start with the framing and get that all done...........hopefully and then go from there and see how the settling is going.

Great idea! I am going to be starting a keezer build shortly that will match the bar top and base. I'm going to use red cedar slabs for the top as opposed to the redwood, because I already have it and don't want to pay freight to get another redwood slab from northern California. I'll use T&G knotty pine and milled cedar log trims for the cabinet around the freezer, just like the bar is designed and trimmed out. It will be a 4 tap system and deer antler tap handles is a kick a$$ idea! Thanks for the suggestion. :rockin:

make a tap handle.

Thanks for the compliment. It has been a struggle to get it done, but it's coming together. I'm taking next Friday off of work, so my wife and I plan on having the rest of the basement painted next weekend. At that point it's just drop ceiling and carpet. I haven't taken a vacation day off of work since mid July, so it's long overdue and the progress in the basement has dropped off horribly because of it. At this point, I just want it done, so I can move onto my brewing projects (all grain rig, keezer, brewing room, etc.). Thanks again.:mug:

Great job so far, I wouldn't leave the house if that was mine.

Nice job! I personally like the rustic look, but the swmbo didn't want it in the house. My basement is finished but has no bar. I'll be stealing ideas from you when the time comes.

I know the feeling Wrenchman. My wife wasn't a big fan either, but I tried to soften the rustic look by adding brushed nickel fixtures, a vessel sink in the bathroom, nice stone tile, etc. She won't admit it, but I think she really is starting to dig it, especially as the finishing touches are coming together. :ban: Let me know if I can help you with ideas as the time comes. As I said in earlier posts, I did the majority of this build myself, but I did not build or mill the bar cabinets, the bar top, or the bathroom vanity. If you like those items, here's a list of places that I got them from:

Log and Panel Bar Cabinetry - The Woodworker's Shopp in Comin's, MI

www.woodworkersshoppe.com

Redwood Slab Bar Top/Countertop - Artisan Burlwood in Berkeley, CA

www.artianburlwood.com

Cedar Log Vanity - A&S Woodworks - Fairgrove, MI

[email protected] - Travis Aeder's email address.

All of the red cedar log trims, mantle, lamps, etc. came from my dad's property and I have a buddy with a Woodmeiser Portable Mill, so he cut and slabbed everything for me. All of the knotty pine came from Church's Lumber in Auburn Hills, MI. Hope this helps. Happy to help out another Michigander! Good luck! :mug:

Nice job! I personally like the rustic look, but the swmbo didn't want it in the house. My basement is finished but has no bar. I'll be stealing ideas from you when the time comes.

Back