My 3 recipes - Any thoughts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grundysidemount

Reaction score
So this will be my first real attempt of making my own extract recipes. I will be brewing all 3 on the 15th.

Let me know what you think. Also bonus point if you see why the SMASHs are names what they are.

I did realize that the Double IPA wasnt gonna work with 9lbs of LME so I upped it to 12 lbs.

These were all excess ingredients I had at the house, but will gladly get more supplies if needed since I have 2 weeks till brew day

Last question is how to use the ingredients to figure out estimated OG, ABV

I am still a rookie at all this.

Thank you

Attachments

• 20190702_165206.jpg
    20190702_165206.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 68
  • 20190702_165213.jpg
    20190702_165213.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 69
  • 20190702_165219.jpg
    20190702_165219.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 64
You could shorten the boil time to 30 minutes (or less), but will need to adjust hop amounts.

You could add half the extract at the start of the boil and the rest at "flame-out". This should help keep the final beer color lighter and should help prevent "over-carmalization"). Softer boils also help. A lower boil OG will result in higher IBUs, so adjust the hop amounts.

With higher OG extract+steep recipes, replacing some of the extract with sugar will lower the FG of the beer. A DIPA with an estimated FG in the 17 to 20 range can be "too sweet" for some people.

There are a couple of articles / summaries on how to brew 'great' extract+steep beers. I can post links if you are interested.

Recipe software (Brewers Friend is a good choice) can be used to quickly estimate OG, FG, IBUs, (etc).

Yes, run those through an online recipe building software. Not only will that tell you the predicted OG and FG, it will also tell you the IBU contribution of the hops timing.

Why are you boiling for so long? 60 minutes is the usual time. For extract, longer is going to give you a VERY dark caramelized beer.

The DIPA kits I have done before all had 90 min boils, so I thought that was for a reason. I'll play with the recipe app and see what it says

I only boil for 20 min.. They have all turned out great at 20 min.. You do have to adjust t your hop amounts. But my ipa's are all a nice light golden color.

All extract added right after steeping. Then brought to a full boil for 20. Then off the heat. I'm only boiling 3.5 gallons at the moment. I only have a 5 gallon pot. I add the other 1.5 gallons after the wort is cooled and in the carboy. I know it's better to do all 5 gallons in the pot, but can't right now. All my beers so far have turned out great.

Back