My 2nd Brew -- Dales Pale Ale or Tank 7?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kyoun1e

Reaction score
So for my first brew I was given an IPA kit. Great. Hope it turns out ok. Now I'm trying to identify which beer I should target for my 2nd brew.

Couple of key requirements:

1. I want a good summer beer that I can bring to the beach. I figure if I get rolling in the next week or two I'll have some bottles ready for August/September.

2. I want to go with a kit again. Don't think I'm ready to go get my own ingredients, etc. I'd like to keep it simple so I can try and perfect my process.

3. I want to brew a beer I like! Two of my favorites all time (and also beers others enjoy) are Dale's Pale Ale and Tank 7.

Question to all of you: Are some beer style's "harder" to brew than others?

For example, the IPA I just brewed seemed straight forward. I'm guessing a Dale's Pale Ale will be similar since it's get a decent amount of hops in it. Now a Tank 7 farmhouse ale/saison has a whole different taste to me...thinking maybe it's more complicated?

Maybe a dumb question. Just curious if some beers/styles add more wrinkles that I'm not anticipating.

Thanks

I'd say any high gravity beer would be trickier because of the yeast health issues.
I don't brew sours, but I understand they're tricky.
Some say German Hefeweizen is simple, but I've read lots of posts here on HBT about problems getting the flavors right.

For a summer beer, pale ale or blonde ale might be good, although it might be good to stay away from dry hopping until you get more experience. For a pale ale, you can do the standard late hop additions or do a hop stand and not do any dry hopping. Some might disagree with this - JMO.

The saison wont be any diffferent other than the yeast. Thats what makes it a saison / farmhouse. As long as you are not talking about using any brett you should be good (some saisons do use brett, not sure about tank 7) either way. There will be less hops and an easier brew day (only a little easier) with the saison actually but really not much different.

For my summer brews I like lower alcohol and a LOT of flavor (usually fruited or REALLY hop'd at flameout/DDH with very little bitter)

Since you are a new brewer I am guessing that you do not have a way to control fermentation temperature. If this is the case I would recommend the Saison. Saisons can be fermented warm with no problem. Fermenting a normal ale yeast at warm temps produces fusels, which are not good.

If you have a way to keep the fermenter in the low to mid 60's then you are good with the pale ale. Some saison yeasts can tolerate high temps, even into the 90's.

Just something to consider.

I'd say any high gravity beer would be trickier because of the yeast health issues.
I don't brew sours, but I understand they're tricky.
Some say German Hefeweizen is simple, but I've read lots of posts here on HBT about problems getting the flavors right.

For a summer beer, pale ale or blonde ale might be good, although it might be good to stay away from dry hopping until you get more experience. For a pale ale, you can do the standard late hop additions or do a hop stand and not do any dry hopping. Some might disagree with this - JMO.

I noticed that the Dale's recipe called for dry hopping. As far as I can tell, isn't dry hopping just adding hops directly into the fermenter after x days? I'm probably simplifying.

Is there something difficult about dry hopping?

Also, what is it that dry hopping actually does vs. putting the hops in the boil?

Thanks much!

Since you are a new brewer I am guessing that you do not have a way to control fermentation temperature. If this is the case I would recommend the Saison. Saisons can be fermented warm with no problem. Fermenting a normal ale yeast at warm temps produces fusels, which are not good.

If you have a way to keep the fermenter in the low to mid 60's then you are good with the pale ale. Some saison yeasts can tolerate high temps, even into the 90's.

Just something to consider.

Well, since I put this first brew in the basement the temperature has remained steady between 61 - 65 degrees. And it's been high 80s and humid. Little risk to higher temperatures. Greater risk may be that it's too low!

I noticed that the Dale's recipe called for dry hopping. As far as I can tell, isn't dry hopping just adding hops directly into the fermenter after x days? I'm probably simplifying.

Also, what is it that dry hopping actually does vs. putting the hops in the boil?

Thanks much!

There's nothing difficult about dry hopping, Kyoun1e, and you're not simplifying it at all. It is simply adding hops into the fermentor after x days. I usually put my dry-hopping hops into a sanitized hop bag, though you could toss them in loose if you don't mind extra debris floating around. You mention that you're using a recipe for your Dale-style ale; just add the dry hops as the recipe calls for and you should be fine. Cheers!

As long as you are not talking about using any brett you should be good (some saisons do use brett, not sure about tank 7)

Tank 7 does not use Brett (which is also one of my top 3 favorites), instead Boulevard ended up using that recipe for their Saison Brett limited release. If you can find it, BUY IT!! My vote goes to Tank 7 for biased reasons :mug:

I'm also about to get my 2nd batch underway and can't decide if I want to do another pre-fab extract kit or branch out and try to create my own, or modify an existing recipe. Is the Tank 7 a kit??

Tank 7 does not use Brett (which is also one of my top 3 favorites), instead Boulevard ended up using that recipe for their Saison Brett limited release. If you can find it, BUY IT!! My vote goes to Tank 7 for biased reasons :mug:

I'm also about to get my 2nd batch underway and can't decide if I want to do another pre-fab extract kit or branch out and try to create my own, or modify an existing recipe. Is the Tank 7 a kit??

These are the two Tank 7 recipe kits I've found so far:

http://shop.greatfermentations.com/product/tank-seven-extract-beer-kit/brewing-supplies

http://www.homebrewing.org/Tank-7-Farmhouse-Clone-Recipe-Kit_p_7279.html

Like how that first option has a link to the full instructions. Don't know either company from a hole in the wall.

I keep trying to "beat" Tank 7 with other farmhouse ales. Saison Dupont...nope. And locally, I love everything Trillium in the boston area, but had my own personal taste test of Trillium's saison with Tank 7 and Tank blew it away.

I'm definitely going kit for now. Once I don't have to "think" as much about process I think I can branch out and challenge my own recipe skills.

Thanks for the heads up on these clones! Out of the two of them I think I am leaning towards the 'Tank Steven' from greatfermentations. What do you think?

As much as I would love to branch out and get a little creative for my second batch I think it might be a better idea to do one more kit/clone and get my process more honed in. Not to mention, I can't ever resist ordering a Tank 7. So why not have a couple dozen in my fridge/cellar??! :tank:

Thanks for the heads up on these clones! Out of the two of them I think I am leaning towards the 'Tank Steven' from greatfermentations. What do you think?

As much as I would love to branch out and get a little creative for my second batch I think it might be a better idea to do one more kit/clone and get my process more honed in. Not to mention, I can't ever resist ordering a Tank 7. So why not have a couple dozen in my fridge/cellar??! :tank:

Agree.

Think I have a solution to my problem: Buy them both!!

Thanks much!

Dry hopping isn't hard to do. My concern is with oxidation. IMO, opening the fermenter should be kept to a minimum. Also, the hops could carry some air into the beer when added. You might want to wait until you're more comfortable with the whole process.
It can add a terrific aroma if everything goes well.

Back