My 1st recipe that is MINE!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djinn88

Reaction score
Well, almost mine. I based it off of Volition (Partial) IPA in the recipes section, altering the carapils and some of the other specialty grains. I also reduced the 8.5lbs of DME to something affordable, 5lbs. Reduced hops down to 5oz of many varieties, etc. This is all irrelevant, I'm just proud to have not followed a kit or exact recipe for the first time.

Anyway, I used a washed yeast (White Labs WLP001) from my previous Fat Tire clone. The issue is that so far the Fat Tire has had a banana taste that I'm waiting to mellow out a little. I heard this was from high ferm temps. Today I woke up in a 67F house with a 72F beer bubbling away. I iced the swamp cooler and now it is fermenting around 66F.

My question is, if I can keep this temp down in the 60's will I likely reduce any banana off-flavors from appearing?

Back