Muntons yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jarnock

Reaction score
Greetings,

I have a quick question, I recently bought some Muntons kits to brew, and I took the yeast out and put in the fridge. Now I'm not sure if these kits use the same yeast or if its any different.

I.E. I have 3 packets of yeast and each of them say something different.

See the picture below for example. They say RDG, TGB and PFB.

One is from an IPA kit while the other is from Canadian style beer kit and the other is from an American Style Light kit. My assumption is they are all just normal muntons yeast, but I thought they might be different. Any thoughts?

IMAG0145.jpg

I've always been told to avoid using the yeast packets that come with kits because it's impossible to know how old the yeast is or how it was handled. Best bet is to buy some quality yeast from your LHBS and use that instead. If you really want to go with the kit yeast, rehydrate it in warm water to see if its still alive, but have a fresh packet as backup, just in case.

If the packets are the same color, thet are the same yeast,
If the packets are yellow in color it wouldn't be a bad idea to replace them with premium gold.

Well, I surfed around and turns out the RGB is actually the code for the yeast bank, a English Ale yeast.

I guess I should probably go to Muntons and submit a question to them.

Back