Munton Extra Light DME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daveooph131

Reaction score
What is the base malt in this extract anyone know? I was told is was pilsen and if so I know I need to boil a bit longer...that's why I ask.

You don't need to worry about boiling extra for extracts, most of that has been taken care of in the production process.

The reason Pilsner malt needs to be boiled longer is because low kilned malts contain higher levels of SMM which is a precursor to DMS. DMS is a sulfur compound that gives a cooked vegetable character to the beer, and boiling converts SMM to DMS and drives it off. Since extracts have already been boiled, you don't have to worry about it. You really only need to boil extracts for a few minutes to make sure they're sterile, search "late extract addition."

Yeah theres no need to worry about having to boil it any longer. When I do late additions, I usually add a pound or two at the beginning of the 60 minute boil and throw the hops in, but i do not add the rest of the extract until probably about 10 minutes left, or long enough for it to get out of clumps and dissolve evenly. This helps keep the color low too if thats what you are shooting for.

Latest posts

Back