Munich yeast temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sovietnam

Reaction score
so I brewed a super dark Dunkelweizen that could also be called a wheat porter(take your pick) I used danstar munich yeast and wanted to know your opinions on fermentation temperature. I pitched at around 72 and it got down to about 62 before any noticeable activity, and after 2 days crept up to 64, where it is stabilized at now. Would you let get up higher to get more banana esters or keep it low? Just wondering how that taste would work out in such a dark wheat beer. Any opinions or criticism welcome

Personally speaking, I would never expect big banana esters in a dark wheat like that, ever. Maybe some clove, but no banana. That will be found in lower temps, like where you're at. That's not to say that the right recipe might not benefit or that there isn't room for some experimentation. But I think if you're going for a Dunkelweizen, then staying low is where you should be.

Back