Munich type 1 or 2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bonden3000

Reaction score
HI

I´m going to brew the Innocent Blonde leffe clone from beersmith. The recipe says munich Malt... but which type?

Peter

Are you looking for a platinum blonde or a honey blonde? The two types of Munich are different colors, choose which to use by the color contribution. The darker one may give you a little more maltiness from being kilned at a higher temperature.

Munich I, probably. Munich II is a lot more rich and bready.

The color difference between them is actually pretty small, especially compared to the difference in flavor.

Is Munich the base malt for the beer? If it is, Munich light is easier to work with, enzymatically. Munich dark is tougher to convert and usually isn't used as a base malt. It is not a bad idea to start out in brewing with learning what the different types of malt are used for.
If you are able to find and want to use a malt that would be prime for Leffe, try Dingemanns Mouterij. I have used a couple of sacks of the malt for Lager and always thought that if I would brew a Belgian style, clean, Ale, I would choose Mouterij. The flavor profile from the malt, produced from a tri-decoction mash, leans more toward Ale, than Lager. It converts easily, using the English brewing method. The flavor is very close to Munich. I prefer Mouterij because it isn't as agressive as Munich. To each his own.

I don't Think my brewstore has that one. 😔

No its not the base. Pilsner malt is (the biggest part of the malt used, right?)

Has anybody tried above recipe?

Back