Munich and Austria Advice - Overwhelmed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanMyers

Reaction score
Hey Folks, I recently booked a ski trip to Sankt Anton am Arlberg in Austria and I will be travelling through Munich. I thought i'd ask a few questions and get a little discussion going on possible/recommended spots to visit and beers to drink. Please note, i hail from the barren wasteland of beer so even a sixer of Sierra Nevada is kinda exciting. I'm a little overwhelmed.

I've printed the best beers of Austria/Germany from ratebeer/beer advocate. I'm also using this http://www.europeanbeerguide.net/munipubs.htm#augkell.

My major problem is that there are soo many options! Are there any must see locations or must drink beers. Gotta prioritize. I'm thinking ayinger and paulaner over hofbrau for example? I also wont have the capacity to go too far. I'd like to get to weihenstephaner but I will not have time in the few hours that i am in munich the first time

My trip is basically split in three.
1. A few hours close to munich central while i wait for friends
2. ~7 days in Sankt Anton, Austria
3. 3-4 days in Munich

1. Any recommendations for a spot close to Central Station? For both drinking and purchasing? I know AusgustinerKeller is close but maybe not one of the best? I'd like to stock up on beer for the train ride, just head to a grocery store?

I'm considering a trip to Tap House, although i will have a backpack and snowboard..... http://www.tap-house-munich.de/en/

2. Any thoughts on Austria? I'll be a huge ski resort and will check out the local restaurants and bars...and I assume you can purchase beer of some form at the local grocery store.

3. I'll definitely be hitting up Getranke Oase for internationals, as stated before, im considering ayinger or paulaner. I hear Ayingers Speis und Trank is great and super close to the more touristy HofBrau House.

Anyway, thats my summary of random thoughts, feel free to comment or provide some direction!

Thanks

Augustiner is where you want to go to in Munich. It's the last independently owned brewery in Munich and it's what the locals drink. If you get there by plane, don't miss out on Airbräu, the airport brewery.

Latest posts

Back