Mulberry Wheat?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ubermarkamark

Reaction score
I'm planning out the batches I'd like to attempt next year. We've a number of mulberry trees (I think they are black mulberry varieties) growing throughout the neighborhood, producing fruit free for the taking. I'd like to make a 5g batch of Mulberry Wheat. I've found one recipe through Hopville that calls for honey, but I've not located other recipes. My plan is to make this as I would a cherry wheat, putting the fruit in the secondary. Anyone see any pitfalls with wild mulberries? Is the honey essential to counteract the tartness of the mulberries? I'd rather skip the honey. I'm planning on adding a pound of fruit per gallon. Thoughts?

I recently harvested nearly 2 pounds of mulberries from my back yard. I was planning on putting the mulberries (not sure how much yet) into the secondary.

It might be better to look at some raspberry wheat recipes, as that's a more comparable fruit than cherries.

Did you end up brewing this last year? If so, how did it turn out? Any tips for me this year?

Back