Muddy Creek Brewing Co. Brewery Build- Start to Finish Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just spent the last hour reading this entire thread with links and looking stuff up. Relishing in the fact I have done brew work but nothing compared to what you and your team is experiencing, thank gawd! :D
All I can say is, what a journey. After successfully starting a few business of my own, I know the hell your going through. But on the bright side, your business should see much better payoffs than mine, I just sold them at a profit. You get to socialize and drink! :tank: I wish you folks well and I'll plan a trip out. I hate skiing, so the beer and company will be well worth the trip. Cheers!

Today's "brew talk"

Hops Contracts, or as I like to call them, deals with the Devil.

As I sit here, looking over the pages that sign my soul away for the next N years (programmer lingo) to some far away retailer for the rights to buy a specified poundage of hops per year I can't help but wonder "Why do you people love I.P.A.s so damn well?"

I also wonder when the Amarillo and Citra hops growers are going to get themselves caught up to the insane demand that's currently making them bazillionaires. Sure, you can sort of cover your butt with substitute hops but honestly I find that Amarillo is the key ingredient for one of my products and I am loathe to go without it. However the very best price I can find it right now at spot purchases is exorbitant.

That leaves me with no choice but to ratchet back my Amarillo and up some substitute hops in the hope of coming up with a reasonable substitute that passes muster. The lesson... make the deal with the devil and get your hops contracts in order sooner than later.

Sure, all those established brewers KNOW this. They'e smiling now and kindly offering their hops overages to new guys like me. But if you don't want to be the poor cousin, always wearing the hand-me-down last year's hops... Get a contract sooner than later.

Or... go start an Amarillo farm and become my new best friend, you know... in two years.

I know you've been photo starved. I'll try to snap some photos tonight, honest I will.

We're doing our first interviews tonight for a Brewer's Assistant. Basically it's a hard-labor sentence with a chance for parole. We need somebody to help out around the brewery, particularly on brew days. We are falling behind and need to get a BUNCH of beer brewed, fermented, carbed and kegged.

That means I need some more help. To that end we have put out a listing for some assistants and starting tonight we will be interviewing 7 different candidates who are foolishly willing to spend anywhere from 20 to 40 hours a week (depending on whether we hire a couple part-timers or a full-timer,) to come in and share my joys and frustrations.

Most of you know this, but brewing is alot like being a glorified janitor. Mostly, you clean stuff. Occasionally you get to actually do the "brewing part". The rest of the time is tracking and ordering chemicals or maintaining records for the State and Feds.

Last night I moved some beer into secondary. I need to move a ton more by Friday so I can brew this weekend. I need to significantly tighten up my brew-to-keg schedule. I've been a bit lax on it and I can already tell in one of my test batches that it won't do. I'm not convinced we'll have to dump it all out but my tasters will have to check it out after it's all carbed up before we're completely certain.

Anyway, pictures of the upgraded tasting room tonight and where we're at in the brewery as well if I get finished with the interviews in time. (We're scheduled to interview until 8:00 tonight.)

Wish us luck.

Good luck and please do post pics when you get a chance, I'm excited to see how everything turned out in the tasting room

I'd be one of them fools you're gonna interview if you lived closer.:rockin:

Good luck and please get them photos up. :mug:

Ain't that a 30 bbl operation? Seems like you said it would be.

pb

No, Bob. It's a 10 bbl.

We can over-clock it a bit. Technically we can fit 400 gallons in the BK and boil down to around 360, but we'd still lose some wort in transfer etc. So there you have it.

We interviewed 7 people, one of whom is apparently a subscriber here. All our interviews were good. I wish we could hire everyone. We are doing background criminal and reference checks today and I'll be making calls later in the afternoon and evening to let folks know.

I admit it was a surprising process. When you look at resumes you sort of get a feel for a person you think is going to be a good match and then once the interviews start BOOM, everything switches up and suddenly you've got a whole new set of dynamics you're working with. Ultimately our choices swayed completely away from what we "expected" based on simple resume trolling.

I think we'll be pretty happy though. (Assuming the reference checks all come back alright. But one has to assume the candidates are going to give us people who will give them decent references.)

I'm brewing this weekend. I swear on my mother that we'll document the process with photos and some video and post it. You'll finally get to see our ugly junk in action.

(Let's not take that out of context you animals.)

So done with this Under-Powered thing...
Took me all day to brew my stout this weekend, but I hit my numbers dead on at the end of it. Still man it was a loooong day.

But, as promised I took some photos of our ugly junk. I give you The 10 bbl system in action... (Kinda.)

The photos more or less go in order, showing the our Walter White bibs, the grain storage bins, the mill, one of my assistants Scott, our and the almost 600 lbs of grain needed to make a batch of beer. Then there's the mashing, somewhere is a shot of the HERM return line from the HLT to the Mash tun.

I also have a shot of Scott, moving fermented beer into the cold-crash tank so it can further settle out I also have a photo of a pint of blonde ale.

I have a few more photos around. One shows some kegs of Blonde Ale (Dirty Blonde) put to bed and happily aging in the aging room. It's now ready to go upstairs to the tasting cooler. I've also got a photo of the brewery entertainment system. (My laptop, attached to a couple external speakers and Pandora.) I just filled 7 more kegs of Wheat Ale (Good Time) yesterday. It was a small test batch to go with the 9 kegs of Dirty Blonde.

I have just under 6 bbls of Skinny Cow I.P.A. in Cold-Crash which will need to be kegged next weekend. I need to move 6 more barrels of No Paddle Amber to cold crash tonight.

This weekend the 5 beer cycle will have finished and I'm back to Dirty Blonde only with full batches.

We hired a new assistant so we'll start training. Hopefully things will be slightly more manageable.

WP_20150117_003.jpg

WP_20150117_007.jpg

WP_20150117_009.jpg

WP_20150117_006.jpg

WP_20150117_014.jpg

WP_20150117_017.jpg

WP_20150117_021.jpg

WP_20150117_016.jpg

WP_20150118_003.jpg

WP_20150117_023.jpg

If it weren't for knowing the work and headaches it took to get things to were they are,... I'd be drooling more. But I'm impressed!
Ya'll did a great job!!!

Post more pics every chance you get! :mug:

pb

I'm brewing this weekend. I swear on my mother that we'll document the process with photos and some video and post it. You'll finally get to see our ugly junk in action.

(Let's not take that out of context you animals.)

I may have missed the post, but when do you officially open to the public? I'm looking to drive over with a couple of friends, sample your wares and take home a few growlers of my favorites.

Jinks, there's a rule about opening a brewery that I believed I would beat when I got started...

Always plan on spending twice as much and taking twice as long.

I believed I could come in under budget and open sooner because I had a great building and found some really inexpensive brewing equipment.

Turns out I've spent twice as much as I planned and it's taking me about twice as long as I planned...

We hope to open around Valentine's day. That's HOPE with capital letters. That's IF I can get enough beer brewed and aging and IF the upstairs partner can get the tasting room finished.

Those are some mighty big IF's. But we're working our butt's off man. Working them off like crazy. If you want to be safe. Plan for March. And St. Patty's day in Butte is ALWAYS a good time.

Jinks, there's a rule about opening a brewery that I believed I would beat when I got started...

Always plan on spending twice as much and taking twice as long.

I believed I could come in under budget and open sooner because I had a great building and found some really inexpensive brewing equipment.

Turns out I've spent twice as much as I planned and it's taking me about twice as long as I planned...

We hope to open around Valentine's day. That's HOPE with capital letters. That's IF I can get enough beer brewed and aging and IF the upstairs partner can get the tasting room finished.

Those are some mighty big IF's. But we're working our butt's off man. Working them off like crazy. If you want to be safe. Plan for March. And St. Patty's day in Butte is ALWAYS a good time.

Funny you mentioned Butte and St. Patty's day and safe all in one sentence.lol

To me, a veteran (victim) of many Butte celebrations, nothing is safe on that day, especially brain cells. I've lost loves, clothes, common sense, and one time lunch in Butte on that particular day.:D

I should mention that I plan on doing it all again, this year too. Too much fun to only do 20 or 25 times.;)

So done with this Under-Powered thing...
Took me all day to brew my stout this weekend, but I hit my numbers dead on at the end of it. Still man it was a loooong day.

I am guessing you explained this earlier in the thread, but seeing as how it has become 30 pages long, could you give a brief run down of what the issue is? The burners you bought aren't strong enough or something?

Well...

We have an electric E-Herm System. However we aren't being given access to enough of the 800 Amp service in the basement to power our elements. This is due to code issues. If we want to spend around 40k to upgrade our electrical service we can put in another 400 amps into the building. Then we'd need to spend another 20 to 40k on a control panel to manage the power. (That kinda wipes us out on the electric brewery budgeting line item...)

Therefore we came up with a hybrid system. We use a tankless water heater to help fill the HLT with already heated water. That gets us going. Then we use our pathetically underpowered (for now) electrical elements to heat the HLT to a decent temperature. Meanwhile we use our brewery pump to circulate the water in the MLT to get our HERM going.

As you can imagine, this is PAINFULLY slow. Therefore we had natural gas lines brought in. (We already had natural gas in the brewery.) So we planned on putting some natural gas burners under the HLT and BK until we can get some decent electrical elements lined up after we are up and running and can afford to upgrade the electrical service.

Unfortunately, one does not simply plug in a high-powered natural gas burner. There are safety precautions to consider etc. So... in the meantime we are using multiple propane burners under our HLT to get it to temp. This gets our water heated up in relatively short order. (Relatively being a "relative" term.) Then with the tankless filling our MLT with filtered water coming through our filtration system we can get the Mash water up to strike temp within about 3 or 4 hours of starting. (I promised I'd be truthful, no matter how much it hurts.)

We've insulated the MLT and the BK so once they get to temp they hold very nicely. So once I mash in, things go pretty well for the most part. During the mash, I'm continuing to heat the water in the HLT with the elemnts (which WILL heat the water, just slowly... so it's nice and hot for mash out and sparge.

Then we transfer over to the BK. We fire up Propane burners over there. Fortunately the wort is already pretty warm so the heating process to boil isn't quite so long but it still takes quite a while to get 220 to 300 gallons of wort to boil. This has caused any number of frustrations.

Once that happens we set the timer and add our additions.

All in all, it's a long day.

However I did get a photo from my plumber today. He HAS a natural gas burner for me that can do 160,000 btus. We need to get a heat shield around it so it doesn't snake out around the sides of the kettle but once that's done it should dramatically speed things up.

The whole thing started with a miscommunication with our electrical contractors and by the time it was resolved we were too far down the path to easily go back. As it is we have a great setup for getting started and once we are open and have some revenue we can go back and up the electrical service. At that time we'll have a Kal system all ready for our pilot brewery and we'll have some extra gas in the brewery for our side products like Root Beer, Lemonade and Ginger Beer.

So, currently we're frankensteined like you can't believe but we're getting by and hopefully this weekend we'll implement two more updates that will help us speed up even more.

A) We should have at least 1 of the natural gas burners, which I'll put under the Brew Kettle to get our boil going quickly and vigorously.

B) We have new connections that will allow us to connect the HLT to the tankless hot water heater so we can fill it the night before and "turn on" at say 4:00 a.m. and start pre-heating before I come in. That way the HLT can be up to temp by the time I arrive in the morning instead of just getting started. We hope to actually put a 2nd leg in that will also connect the MLT as well so both tanks are heated up by the time I arrive. That would save literally 5 or 6 hours on my brew schedule which obviously would make my F'n day.

Make my F'n Day! (That simply bore repeating.)

It's a miracle we've hit our numbers as well as we have. We had one test brew, Good Time Wheat Ale that was ridiculously off on gravity. We were massively low and I had to add 25 lbs of DME and 18 more LME to get the pre boil gravity up to specs. And then we had to boil for quite a bit longer than usual to get to the right pre-pitching gravity.

That lead to some guesswork with the hops addition timing. (I am new to this.) and subsequently that test batch of Good Time is just a little bit more bitter than it ought to be. Although it's already starting to mellow out. I think once it sits for a month or so it will be alright. I'll have to run it by the tasters to see what they think ultimately.

So... There is a loooong answer to a short question. However, as promised. I'll tell you the truth about starting up. Painful as it may sometimes be. Again though, I want to stress... 5 test batches - 4 of them have hit the numbers. And all of them have come out well excepting that extra bit of bitterness in the Wheat Ale which may mellow out acceptably in the next 3 or 4 weeks.

You are being brutally honest and it sounds like a giant pain in the ass, but I can't lie... it doesn't deter me at all from wanting to do this at some point in the future. Cheers man.

Today's a good day. (Well, technically yesterday, but you know.)

The new brewer's assistant came in for her first day. (Yep, she's a young lady.) We got her paperwork processed and spent about an hour familiarizing her with the brewery.

Most importantly though. I got 3 (count em THREE) brand new natural gas burners. Each of which are capable of 160,000 btu's of ass-kicking liquor heating, wort-boiling power!

Furthermore, we have connectors on our tankless heater now that will allow us to start the HLT recirculating at say, 3:00 or 4:00 a.m. so I can have the HLT all ready to go when I show up at 6:00 or 7:00 a.m. on Saturday instead of having to wait until 12:00 or 1:00.

I can't tell you how happy that makes me. I expect we're going to have a MUCH better Saturday this week. To celebrate we're doing a full batch of Dirty Blonde.

Very excited to see how this weekend goes. I also plan on kegging the I.P.A. and moving the Muddy Creek we brewed last Saturday to cold crash by Monday or Tuesday. By next weekend we should have our brite tanks up and running and the Muddy Creek will go directly to brite tank.

By NEXT weekend, (If this weekend goes well,) we may start double-batching. And by that I mean brewing on both Saturday and Sunday. We'll see how it goes.

By the way, I can't take any credit for this. It was my wife's idea. She gets sole Kudo's for it.

Those of you who are thinking about starting a brewery. Especially those of you who have friends in the film industry. (I have friends who are film-makers and I am absolutely KICKING myself right now.)

Consider the idea of giving up all concepts of personal privacy and giving in to the camera. Let your film acquaintances shoot a reality show about starting up a micro brewery. Shoot everything from the beginning napkin drawings to the meetings with contractors to the painful discussions with your spouse about how it isn't going to take every hour of your life.

Go through the painful process of hobbling together the brewery, patching things up, scraping every dime together and then making your money go as far as it can. Live through the terror or realizing that your scaled up batches taste NOTHING like your smaller batches. Watch the faces of more experienced brewers as they give you that "look" as they talk to you and you realize they realize that you realize you're in over your head.

Then watch as they roll up their sleeves and start helping you figure things out and walk you through stuff.

Have them film all the work, the long hours, the bleary eyes, the broken equipment, the spills, the mopping. the endless mopping.

Have them film you coming up with an ad-hoc keg cleaner and filler. See the glee when a new piece of equipment arrives. Then watch as that new piece of equipment sits and gathers dust because you're either not sure how to use it or not ready to use it yet.

Finally, watch as your batches finally start to taste just a little bit more right each time. Watch as your carb levels even out, as your keg cleaner/filler actually WORKS.

Feel the joy as your dumb-waiter lifts the first keg up to the tasting room. Get some more mopping on camera. Let the film people do all the editing. Hopefully not too much fighting is left in the footage. Hopefully you didn't have to fire anybody or at least not too many people.

Best of all - When it's all done, you may just find that you can split the returns on the resultant show with the film-makers. And it can help cover some of the brewery funding.

Course you need to know somebody who's kinda plugged in with the TV/Film industry. Otherwise you're just going to make "How I build a brewery" DVD's which may ALSO have a market among guys and gals like us who wouldn't mind seeing a decently edited min-series about the process, the permits, the pitfalls that someone went through getting a brewery up and running.

Just a thought. Take it as you will. I just felt it was a good idea that WE actually could have implemented since we have the resources available to us. We just didn't even think of it. But BELIEVE me. There's been PLENTY of drama through this process to make for must-watch television.

EDIT. Of course you'd have to put up with all that distraction and those cameras all the time... There's a trade-off to consider.

So last night, Todd (Our Walter White) and I fired up the 2nd leg of our overnight recirc system.

We use a little chugger pump, fitted with tri-clover valves to our monster hoses. It goes from the bottom of the MLT to the HERMS input on the HLT. The HLT output then, of course goes back into the MLT.

We just wanted to see if a little chugger would move liquor with that great a head, (We're talking 7 feet or so.) at a decent rate.

So, we hooked everything up, opened the valve on the MLT, plugged in the chugger and almost INSTANTLY ... "sploosh" liquor from on high. The darn thing works like a champ.

As I mentioned yesterday, our plumber got our valves set up on the tankless so we can connect our HLT output to the tankless hot water heater. Tonight we'll use our OTHER chugger to connect the bottom of the HLT to the tankless input. Then, using timed outlet controllers, we'll simply "turn on" the pump on the HLT to Tankless at around 3:00 tonight. We'll have the tankless set at around 155 or 160. That will start heating up my HLT nicely. (The output from the tankless will feed right back into the HLT, obviously.)

Around 5:00, the timer for the MLT chugger will go off and the HERMs coil will start happily circulating the MLT liquor through the coil of the now warmed up HLT.

By the time I get in at 8:00 we should have a nice toasty MLT that's just about at strike temperature.

Better yet. I did a test last night on my new burners. I filled my HLT up to it's regular level. It was at 98 degrees when I started and it had about 165 gallons of water in it.

I turned on my electric elements and then fired up the burner. Within 20 minutes the temperature had gone up to 116. (And I only had the burner at about 60%)

Feelin' good.

So, should I show up tomorrow morning at 8:00 and we're not quite to temp yet, it shouldn't take too long to get there with the burner. And once we move to the BK it won't take me forever and a day to get to boil.

I'm feeling like tomorrow could go really really well. We'll see. I'll take photos again. You can see our little chugger in action. It works so nicely I may just keep it on as a full time HERM circ pump. It's THAT handy.

And yes, I'd be happy to accept some endorsement money from Chugger Pumps Inc.

And the results are in...

We did not get the return on investment from the overnight recirc we wanted. The MLT heated to 100 and The HLT had only heated to 120 from the sad little elements inside it. Now this is likely due to the fact that the MLT recirc pump fired up at 4:00 a.m. and started moving the roughly 60 degree water through the heated up HLT to circulate into the MLT. So we were using a couple of very small elements to heat about 400 gallons of water.

Frankly the math just wasn't there. I knew it. I was lying there in bed knowing it. So, I jumped up at around 7:00 got dressed and headed down to the brewery and tossed the monster burner under the HLT by a bit after 8:00.

We were able to get the MLT up to strike temp (155) by 11:11. So I made a wish and we mashed in. That was still a good hour to two hours better than we've done in the past.

We mashed for an hour, then transferred to the BK. I put another burner under the BK as soon as we got wort in the kettle. All together we put 340 gallons of wort in the BK and got ourselves working on getting to boil which we achieved within an hour.

The recipe called for a 90 minute boil, so we clocked our start time at 2:41 after condensing a bit. Added our bittering hops and by just after 4 we were sending the wort through the chiller into the fermenters.

By 5:30 the transfer was finished and I had the yeast pitched and everything buttoned up by 6:00. After some tidying up I was home by 7:00.

We still have room for improvement but it was the first sub-12 hour brew day we've had. At least on this scale and it was our first "full" batch. We didn't completely stretch the system's legs but we did 8.5 barrels which isn't bad.

If we can trim another hour or two next Saturday and get the brewhaus tidied up before close of day, we'll try to do another batch on Sunday as well.

Tonight I'm kegging some of our house I.P.A. and tomorrow we'll be moving the chocolate stout into cold-crash.

Gotta keep things moving.

Our soft-opening is scheduled for sometime near Valentine's day. Likely the Monday or Tuesday following.

I should be clear on my previous post. We aren't giving up on the recirc. We just need to do a bit more engineering. We weren't able to run water through our big tankless because we were using a smaller hose for that end of the loop and we weren't able to get enough water going through the tankless at one time to activate it. (It needs a certain amount of water pressure to fire up the elements or they won't go. Safety mechanism to protect the elements.)

So, I'll need to hook up the larger transfer hoses so we can get more flow going through the tankless which "should" activate it. That ought to heat the water better which (again) "should" heat our water better and make the whole thing work. We'll do a better test before the weekend and see if it all holds water so to speak.

Still I'm much happier with how things went on Saturday. All in all we had a great day and we learned just a bit more. Best of all, we increased our efficiency. I actually had to add a bit of liquor to the fermentors at the end to make sure we hit the right gravity before we pitched. That's a nice problem to have rather than needing to add DME.

Seems we're starting to move in the right direction.

I've currently got 11 bbls in cold-crash (5 of which we'll be kegging tonight) and 15 bbls in my fermenting room.

Next weekend we hope to add another 17 bbls to the fermenting room give or take.

We have a "nitrogenator" which pulls nitrogen out of the air and puts it into a pressurized tank. We also have a line that runs across the brewery into a regulator. We use nitrogen in our keg cleaning system to purge rinse water, cleaner and sanitizer. That gives us an endless supply of pressurized gas. Furthemore, when we're not using the stuff for our cleaning operations, the nitrogen is happily supplying our upstairs taproom so we can have beer on nitro as well. (Giving us a niche in town as nobody else is doing that yet. I'm sure one of the other breweries will scramble to catch up as they'll see the edge this will give us, but we'll be the first. ; - )

We also got our milling room door put on downstairs which makes us completely compliant with the plans we sent in to the state and feds so they can come down and do their inspection anytime. The upstairs guys have some stuff to do yet, but we're ready down below.

Great job! Thanks for letting us brew professionally vacariously through you. Best of luck!

And the results are in...

We did not get the return on investment from the overnight recirc we wanted. The MLT heated to 100 and The HLT had only heated to 120 from the sad little elements inside it. Now this is likely due to the fact that the MLT recirc pump fired up at 4:00 a.m. and started moving the roughly 60 degree water through the heated up HLT to circulate into the MLT. So we were using a couple of very small elements to heat about 400 gallons of water.

Frankly the math just wasn't there. I knew it. I was lying there in bed knowing it. So, I jumped up at around 7:00 got dressed and headed down to the brewery and tossed the monster burner under the HLT by a bit after 8:00.

We were able to get the MLT up to strike temp (155) by 11:11. So I made a wish and we mashed in. That was still a good hour to two hours better than we've done in the past.

We mashed for an hour, then transferred to the BK. I put another burner under the BK as soon as we got wort in the kettle. All together we put 340 gallons of wort in the BK and got ourselves working on getting to boil which we achieved within an hour.

The recipe called for a 90 minute boil, so we clocked our start time at 2:41 after condensing a bit. Added our bittering hops and by just after 4 we were sending the wort through the chiller into the fermenters.

By 5:30 the transfer was finished and I had the yeast pitched and everything buttoned up by 6:00. After some tidying up I was home by 7:00.

We still have room for improvement but it was the first sub-12 hour brew day we've had. At least on this scale and it was our first "full" batch. We didn't completely stretch the system's legs but we did 8.5 barrels which isn't bad.

If we can trim another hour or two next Saturday and get the brewhaus tidied up before close of day, we'll try to do another batch on Sunday as well.

Tonight I'm kegging some of our house I.P.A. and tomorrow we'll be moving the chocolate stout into cold-crash.

Gotta keep things moving.

Our soft-opening is scheduled for sometime near Valentine's day. Likely the Monday or Tuesday following.

Being a pipe dreamer that would love to follow in your boot-steps there is something that I think you may be missing on the instant hot water heater. I could be totally wrong on this but I believe all of these things, like spa heaters and any other 'inline' type heater that can be damaged by dry firing have a pressure switch. They need a certain amount of 'back pressure' to engage the switch which allows the heater to operate. Running them a full open flow means that there is no back pressure and thus the switch will never be engaged and the device will be disabled. I could be wrong and my wife would agree that I am always wrong but it is something to maybe take a look into.

Best of luck!

We thought about that gl_az.

It does come down to pressure, on both sides. The tankless will shut down if the "out flow" is to great and there isn't enough water pooling over the elements to keep them essentially submerged. However, the digital readout on the tankless lets you know when the outgoing water is hitting the right temperature and you adjust the outflow so you know you're going at the right rate.

In our case, we aren't getting enough water pressure into the "in-flow" to even get started. Essentially the tankless is sensitive enough to know that we won't be able to maintain enough water on the elements when we open up the out-flow valve at all because we aren't getting enough water pressure on the in flow valve.

So, we need to increase pressure on the inflow.

I have a bigger issue however. Since we don't have a automatic valve opener on the tankless yet (like you can get on your automatic sprinkler lines,) we have no way of opening the out-flow valve at a given time.

This means we can't just "turn on" the thing at say 2:00 a.m. or 3:00 a.m. and let it go. We have to manually turn it on and open the valve ourselves.

Now the pump running water through the HLT to the MLT can fire up automatically at any time we want it to. That works fine. But the other side... that has to be done manually.

Which means I either have to go and turn the thing on at some point in the middle of the night or I have to turn it on a bit earlier and just let it run through the night.

sigh... This is what happens when your electrician and you don't quite communicate clearly enough in the early goings. You find yourself dickering with the devil.

Nonetheless, I put 3 barrels of Skinny Cow into kegs on Monday. I'm going to put another 5.5 barrels of Amber into kegs probably on Thursday.

Somehow, despite all the hobgoblins, we're forging ahead. (Actually, the somehow can be translated into lots of extra hard work. We work harder, not smarter at Muddy Creek. Over time we hope to transform that model. ;) )

I edited to add some photos from our last brew day...

We have some mashing in... the mash tun from our full batch of Dirty Blonde we brewed last week, and our grain storage bins which we just inventoried. (We currently have 3 tons of grain stored which should be enough to get us through about 5 full batches with a bit of "over-flow" for general over-stocking.)

Enjoy.

Oops... These are apparently duplicate photos. Sorry about that. I'll get something new out. Now I feel badly.

mash_in.jpg

small_mash.jpg

grain_storage.jpg

MuddyCreek,

If the tankless heater requires more flow volume than the building mains can supply here is a possible solution that should work without much if any new equipment:

- Disconnect the tankless heater from the building supply.
- Add a solenoid valve to fill the HLT directly from the building supply.
- Add a full level float switch to the HLT if you don't already have one.
- Plumb a loop from your HLT to your brewery pump to tankless then back to the HLT.

Automatic operation:
1) Open HLT solenoid valve and fill until float switch indicates full.
2) Start the pump and tankless heater, possibly triggered by the same float switch.
3) Stop when the full volume of HLT contents are at desired temperature.

Your brewery pump probably has more than enough GPM capacity at low head to keep your tankless heater happy. A throttling valve on tankless output can dial in an optimal flow rate.

The HLT fill rate is now completely independent from tankless flow requirements. The overall time to fill and heat may be longer so just start the process a little earlier. Even at a crummy 5 GPM from your building the HLT should fill in less than 90 minutes. You could even add a float switch at some midpoint level in the HLT and start circulating through the tankless earlier so when the HLT is full it is also at your target temperature.

On ya'lls scale, how do you clean your BK? I've been to a local brewery that uses, Five Star acid cleaner No. 5. Is that the chit? Or do you guys have a different resolve? I know that the No. 5 is pretty expensive for the home brewer. I paid like $75 for a gallon!!! And that's not counting shipping.

pb

Bob, right now I'm using Shepherd Bros #14. We also have a ton of industrial "PBW" that we use for soaking of clamps, valves, elbows and general parts.

We also have a sanitizer that we use to spray everything with via our CIP balls. (Not deflated...)

I've added a couple photos of our 2 brite tanks which are currently passivating. They'll be ready by Monday to take just about 7 barrels of Muddy Creek. We'll fire up the CO2 and get it carbed in a few days and ready to keg.

The other photo is the current set of kegs with about 10 bbls of beer we have ready for our soft opening. We're going to invite about 30 people up and let them try out the beer, (I'm sure I've already talked about this...) for free. They just have to give us honest opinions about the products, the service and the atmosphere. We'll take notes and make an honest effort to improve upon their comments. Then we'll have another soft-opening with about twice the number of people, (again, invitation only.) However we'll charge this time. Included in the second group will be some of the folks who had some negative feedback and hopefully they will come and see that we made efforts to address their concerns.

After that will be the full opening. It will be about 2 or 3 full weeks before Saint Patrick's day in Butte, which is kind of a big deal...

So, we're getting amped up for that.

WP_20150128_001.jpg

WP_20150128_002.jpg

If you take a look back to the early stages of the thread you'll see the photos of the tasting room when we first got the building. I have a few pics I took yesterday at lunch. We will be taking the power tools out this weekend and I "should have waited" until Monday to upload some photos but I feel guilty about making everyone go so long without any photos.

So here are some interim photos of the tasting room. We still have some work to do, but you can see the progress being made.

I also kegged another 5.5 barrels of No Paddle Amber last night. I included a photo of the No Paddle out of cold-crash and the No Paddle kegs we put into the aging cooler for those of you interested. That gives us 15.5 barrels of kegged beer, another 6.5 barrels ready to keg by Tuesday and 17 barrels being made over the weekend give or take.

Add to that 5 to 6 barrels of root beer, lemonade and ginger beer and I'm pretty much spent.)

And that is the beer targetted for our initial opening. (That's pretty much all I have kegs for.)

WP_20150129_006.jpg

WP_20150129_007.jpg

WP_20150129_009.jpg

WP_20150129_008.jpg

WP_20150129_005.jpg

WP_20150129_013.jpg

WP_20150129_012.jpg

WP_20150129_015.jpg

You're probably wondering about those windows... They're actually old-style steel windows that we'll open in the Spring and summer months with screens, however they're obviously too cold in the Winter. Therefore we've shut them and put inserts in. We'll put chalkboard paint over the inserts and use them for menus and for local artists to do chalkboard art in exchange for a pint now and then while they draw.

The "BIG" window will be turned into our display area during the winter months. We'll put in shelving and glass and hang our "Muddy Gear" in there for people to see and hopefully covet.

EDIT:

Went in at lunch today and the windows were painted with the chalkboard paint. Artists with more talent than me, be aware...

Another weekend, another batch of beer. (And some Root Beer and Lemonade!)

So this weekend we made some more Skinny Cow. (Batch 3) and we also put together our first couple kegs of Where's Your Mother root beer and a keg of Teetotaler Lemonade.

Tonight I'll be moving around 8 bbls of Dirty Blonde to cold crash and I'll also move 6.5 bbls of Muddy Creek to our brite tanks to carbonate. (We finally get to use the shiny stuff!)

Below are a couple of photos of the "Brew Rats". Kat is adding some sugar to our root beer and Scott is lugging grain into the milling room for some Good Time ale that we'll be brewing soon.

WP_20150131_001.jpg

WP_20150131_003.jpg

And the brite tanks WORK!

Last night we put our stout in the tanks. dialed up a low level of carbonation for it and this morning we already have a nice creamy head on it. In fact, I'm letting some of the CO2 levels dissipate this morning as it may be a bit over-carbed. (First time with the brite tanks and all...)

So, we'll let it sit in the tanks for another day and then lower the psi to 3 or so and move the beer into kegs, clean out the brites and do it all over again this weekend with some Dirty Blonde.

I'll also be brewing up some more Good Time this weekend and finally, the news you all REALLY want to hear.

We're going to try to have our final inspection on the 9th and host a small party on the 12 which will serve as a pre-opening function. Then we'll do a soft opening sometime around the 16th with 30 to 40 people. A week later we'll do another soft opening with about twice as many and finally our grand opening at the end of the month complete with live radio hosting for a few hours, some TV folks and all the hoopla and coverage we can get.

Hopefully we can make a splash.

There are a few methods for doing it. It should be noted that our giant oxygen stones do a great deal of the work for us. Our engineer looked up the various ways to accomplish fast-carbing and we decided to try the "binge and purge" method first. There's are plenty of guidelines for how many psi you should put on your beer for a specific style at a given temperature. We've made some modifications to those guidelines for personal preferences but generally speaking we follow them fairly closely.

Blonde Ales are a bit more carbed than an I.P.A. or an Amber. Wheat Ale is quite a bit more carbed than a Stout. Our specific numbers are close to 8 psi when we're carbing at 38 degrees for most of our beers. Some carb at 12, some a little lower.

Basically you dial up your pressure to what you want your volumes of C02 to be for your style, volume and temperature, then you apply the C02 to your sealed tank until you hit your pressure + 5 psi give or take. Then you purge the tank down to 0. This clears the Oxygen. (We have a purge valve at the top so we just turn off the gas, open the purge valve and let er rip.)

When the pressure is down, we open the gas back up set to the pressure we want the beer to go to, let it pressure up again to the proper volume. We let that sit for a specified number of hours, then purge the pressure back down to 0 again. Rinse repeat every 4 or 6 hours.

Back