Mud Butt Robust Porter (Trial)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aavila890

Reaction score
Came up with this recipe a few days ago and brewed last night and thought I would share. Noticed there isn't a great deal of robust porter recipes out there, or most of them are infused with chocolate, vanilla, coffee etc.. which is good and all but decided I wanted to make a good old fashion robust porter. Figured i can add all that good stuff later after perfecting my recipe. Came up with this recipe with the help of Ray Daniels Designing Great Beers book. So here it is:

All Grain
Batch size- 5.5g
Pre-boil Vol- 7g
Efficiency- 72%
Boil- 60min
OG 1.060

10# Pale Malt
1# Caramel/Crystal 40L
.6#Chocolate Malt
.5# Munich Malt
.5# Flaked Oats
.4# Black Patent
Est SRM- 30.7

2oz East Kent Goldings[5.7 alpha]60 min
1oz Cascade[7.1 alpha] 5 min
Est IBUs-42

Whirfloc tablet 15 min

2pkg- British Ale Yeast (Wyeast 1098)

Mash in at 168.9F with 4.22g of water; Mash Temp 153F for 60 min
Drain and batch sparge with 4.36g of water at 168F
(I used 5.2 stabilizer in my mash)
Primary- 7-10 days
secondary 14-days or might age for longer.

Hit all my numbers perfectly thanks to brew smith. Now just to wait and see how it turns out. I'll Keep updating!

Brew day pics

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1412619815.849744.jpg
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1412619847.523689.jpg
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1412619861.885359.jpg
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1412619891.685345.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Two yeast packs...you might want to think about doing starters sometime in the future to save a few bucks per batch. Initial output would set you back a little but you would turn it around pretty quick.
Salute!

Two yeast packs...you might want to think about doing starters sometime in the future to save a few bucks per batch. Initial output would set you back a little but you would turn it around pretty quick.
Salute!

Definitely hear you on that, unfortunately I have yet to invest on a starter kit which I should really do and also it was a last minute brew day so took the hit with the 2 smack packs

Definitely hear you on that, unfortunately I have yet to invest on a starter kit which I should really do and also it was a last minute brew day so took the hit with the 2 smack packs

When I started out (before I got a fancy flask and stir plate) I used a plastic gallon jug of water covered with tinfoil for all my starters. Worked great and the cost was approximately 1.50 $ if you don't count the DME. No need for a kit.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1413168748.331495.jpg

just racked to secondary. Decided to get experimental and take a separate gallon and add an ounce of course coffee beans and half a vanilla bean to make a few special bombers. I plan on leaving it for 10-14 days, bottle condition, and then age the bombers for a few weeks before trying out so the coffee flavors will mellow out and not overpower the beer. Hope it works out! Gonna throw the remaining 4 gallons of the original porter in my corny and force carb after 10-14 days.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1415079541.986552.jpg

First pour off the corny, only been carbonating for a week but I was super anxious to try it out. I would say it is almost fully carbonated, I'm sure the flavors would develop greatly with more time but this did not come out not too shabby, lots of chocolate malt coming through and a very dry finish. Nice head retention, fluffy white/brown head. Maybe a little too bitter but I'm thinking it'll mellow out with more time, or maybe go with a little less bittering hops next time. Overall I would say this is a beer is success for my first porter.

First pour may be more bitter than the rest. The fine particles from the dark grains are still settling out, and you pull from the bottom of the keg.

Back