MT Size?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smmcdermott

Reaction score
Trying to get into AG and was wondering how big of a cooler is too big? I can get a 56qt for a good price, but is that too big for 5 gallon batches? I am not looking to get into anything more than 5 gallon batches.

Thanks

Oh, and where do you get your high temp tubing. I was just at home depot last night and they had no idea what I was talking about.

There is a nifty chart some place that compares all the cooler sizes. Check the stickies.

I'd say 56 is more then enough for 5 gallon batches. When I was doing 5 gallon batches I used a 48 and it was plenty big for even high gravity beers. The only real danger of having an over sized MLT is that it will loose heat. The air space tends to loose heat.

Also, consider how your gonna sparge. If your fly sparging then you will want a taller narrow cooler to get the proper bed depth and avoid channeling. If your batch sparging then any shape is good.

Oh, and where do you get your high temp tubing. I was just at home depot last night and they had no idea what I was talking about.

Bargian fittings has the silicone tubing at a good price. It's expensive but it's the top quality for hot applications.

More beer, AHS, and micromatic all carry higher temp vinyl. This stuff is plenty good for a mash ton and less expensive then the silicone.

HD and Lowes only carry cheap vinyl. Really this will work OK. The liquid out of the mash is not that hot. It's not perfect but it works. Go for the fiber reinforced type. Those tend to hold up better with the heat.

mltsizetable.gif

That image is from this thread - click me

As far as the vinyl tubing, from what I've seen at multiple stores, the temp rating is 175-180F. From what I understand, if you're just doing a non-pressurized transfer of wort, this should work fine. The only silicone tubing I could find was online, and I didn't want to wait or hassle with an order just for a short piece of tubing.

So really, I don't need more than a 10 gallon MT for even a 10 gallon batch. So 12.5 gallons is way to much for a 5 gallon batch. Looks like I need to go return this huh?

So really, I don't need more than a 10 gallon MT for even a 10 gallon batch. So 12.5 gallons is way to much for a 5 gallon batch. Looks like I need to go return this huh?

yeah a 40-48 is plenty big for 5 gallon batches.

Are batch or fly sparging?

Back