Mr. Marty's Yeast I don't get it.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

technicoloraudio

Reaction score
I am about to move from 5 gallon batches to 10 gallon batches and I've got a bunch of yeast saved that I want to use. Most of it's washed cake and I just prepared a starter a la normal.
I have Mr. Malty YC on my phone, but I am having a hard time determining what I already have and how much to step it up. Anyone have any pointers?

My yeast is 3711 with various Brett's on it. I like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I think it is just a matter of using the repitching from slurry tab and making sure you have the required volume of slurry. If you already have enough slurry volume in cake, just add a little wake up wort, no starter necessary. If you do not have enough slurry volume, make starter, crash, measure resulting yeast volume. If you still do not have enough volume, repeat. It will probably take some guessing and checking to figure out desirable slurry volume to starter volume ratios, but if you can't do cell counts the bottom line is ensuring you have adequate volume of slurry before pitching, regardless of starter sizes you use to get there.

Back