Mr. Beer with a Twist. Recipe Help??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mran556

Reaction score
Hey guys

This is my second brew ever first was west coast pail ale came with my Mr. Beer kit second was a cider I made using Simply apple and Safale S-04.

Both were good but I am looking to make something better I have a hop head red extract kit from Mr. beer and made some modifications. I am planing to make this tonight. If you experts could take a look and see if any thing needs changing please let me know. Am I steeping to long or not enough do the hops need to be boiled longer or shorter?

Hop head Irish Red
Ingredients.
.5 Pounds Crystal 120
1 Pound Sparkling Amber DME
.5 oz Willamette Pellet Hops
1 Can Bewitched Red Ale HME
1 Can Pale Export UME
¾ Cup Orange Blossom Honey
1 Packet Safale S-04 Ale Yeast

Instructions.
1. Place one gallon of spring water in a large pot. Bring temp up to 155.
2. Added .5 pounds of Crystal 120 to Muslin grain bag and tie end. Place bag in water and steep for 30 mins and then discard.
3. Stir in 1 pound of Sparkling Amber DME and then bring to a roaring boil.
4. Added .5 oz of Willamette Pellet hops to Muslin hop bag and tie end. Place bag in boiling water for 25 min and discard.
5. Turn off stove and move pot to a cool burner. Add UME, HME, and honey stirring constantly till dissolved.
6. Cool wort in ice bath or with a wort cooler.
7. Added cool wort to Mr. beer keg that already has 1 gallon of water. Top off Mr. beer keg with ½ gallon of water.
8. Pitch ¾ packet of dry yeast and wait 5 min then stir well for 5 min.
9. Place Mr. beer keg in cool dark area and let ferment (66-68)

Thanks, Mran

Also should I use more or less grain or hops? Should I keep the hops in my fermentor or discard after the boil?

Back