Mr Beer Octoberfest, Vienna lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rawkstar320

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I have an empty Mr Beer keg and a can of oktoberfest - this needs to change. I want to make some modifications to the recipe to get rid of the booster. I have the following ingredients available:

Gains:
American 2 row
Caramel 10, 20 & 60
chocolate malt
Aromatic malt
Victory malt

Hops:
Cascade
Chinook
fuggles
Kent goldings

Any thoughts on what I should do and how I should do it?

Without knowing what exactly is in Mr. Beer's oktoberfest in a can, it's hard to say what, if any, additions would be good. If you want to get rid of the booster, maybe just replace it with an equal amount of light DME.

Yeah, I don't have any dme on hand. So I might just make a mini mash with some 2 row. I think that should help give it a little bit of body while not adding any weird flavors.

I would agree about only adding the 2 row keep the specialties out of it so you don't get an odd tasting Octoberfest.

Is the Mr. Beer Octoberfest Hopped or Unhopped? I would go ahead with your mini mash idea, add the Mr. Beer can like any other extract and throw in some of the fuggles and call it beer.

With a hopped extract, be real careful about adding any hops or it could end up too bitter. If you do add any, make it late addition or dryhop, although I'm not sure whether that would be good an oktoberfest, I've never brewed one! Don't think it's supposed to be a real hoppy beer though...

Here's what I ended up doing:

1.5 lbs 2 row - mashed 60 min, boiled till hot break
1 can Mr Beer oktoberfest
9 Oz brown sugar (allot of people seen to use that w this recipe, do I figured why not?)

I used the Mr beer yeast, but re-hydrated it.

I hit about 1.040 og, lower than I wanted, but on qbrew I calculated with 2 gallons, but the fermentor is actually 2.1.

Anyways, I'm sure it well taste great

Here's what I ended up doing:

1.5 lbs 2 row - mashed 60 min, boiled till hot break
1 can Mr Beer oktoberfest
9 Oz brown sugar (allot of people seen to use that w this recipe, do I figured why not?)

I used the Mr beer yeast, but re-hydrated it.

I hit about 1.040 og, lower than I wanted, but on qbrew I calculated with 2 gallons, but the fermentor is actually 2.1.

Anyways, I'm sure it well taste great

BradleyBrew said:
I would really skip the chinook and Cascade hops they have 0 to do with a nice malty Oktoberfest.

Yep, decided not to use extra hops. I'll post updates as they come along.

Back