Mr Beer first batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spuds

Reaction score
My girlfriend got me a mr beer kit for valentines day. It came with the classic American light. I was watching the video for directions on brewing and it said that I just boil the water. After it boils take it off and set it to the side. Ill then add the Malt into the water. After pouring 4 quarts of the refrigerated water into the mr beer keg I add the malt and water then feel the keg up with more refrigerated water the 8.5 quart mark. I thought I needed to boil the malt and water for a certain amount of time? The video just said to add it to the hot water. Is that all I do? Or am I missing something?

mr beer comes with a hopped liquid extract so boiling times is not necessary to gain hop bitterness. If you are not altering the ingredients just follow the directions they lay out.

The Mr. Beer malt extract is pre-hopped so it doesn't need to be boiled. If you go to other kits, many of them come with unhopped extract and a package or more of hops which require a boil to isomerize the hop oils for bittering.

The new Mr. Beer kits by Coopers do not require boiling of the HME. You haven't missed anything. The Pre-Coopers kits had "Booster" that you dissolved in boiling water but even then you didn't boil the malt.

A key thing here is the "H" in HME or Hopped Malt Extract. You don't want to boil this because the desired hop influence is already in the malt. Boiling it would alter the flavor by boiling off the hop oils.

Back