Mr B, first batch, add more yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eb314

Reaction score
Yes, yes I know. There are a ton of 'did I ruin it?' threads posted by newbies such as myself. But I didn't do anything to ruin it, I'm just wondering if I should add more yeast to my Mr B batch going right now. Details:

I followed the instructions and sanitized everything well, pitched the yeast according to instruction (although I don't really understand how this is exactly supposed to work) and sealed everything up. I'm making 8.5 qts of Pilsner. Anyway, it's been 5 days and I haven't really noticed any activity inside the keg. I pick it up and hold it up to the light, and it just looks like brown water (nothing on the surface at all). Yesterday I gave it a little slosh though, and I did notice some foam appear on the sides after that.

I would think that activity should start after a day or two? Did the yeast not pitch for some reason? I also tasted a little bit of it yesterday, and it tasted a little sweet and bitter at the same time. I was thinking about adding more yeast? Or should I just let it sit another week or so.

With mrb sometimes you see a bunch of activity and some times hardly any. Look at the bottom of the keg. If you see a whitish layer then your yeast are working. Leave your brew in the keg for 3 weeks. Then bottle and let sit for minimum of 2 weeks. Cheers

If you take a gravity you can see if the yeast is working. Your problem is that you only have a little over two gallons of beer, and a hydrometer reading will take up half a pint or so. Some yeast can take a while to start up, and others will finish before you know it. The only real way to know if your yeast is working is to take a hydrometer reading though.

Back